Chapter Sixteen

Ethan

I heard a gunshot and froze. The sadistic laughter from behind me told me that Michael Taylor had taken the shot and we all knew who his prime target would be.

I stopped in my tracks, a horrified shout about to leave my mouth as I anticipated seeing Harry's dead body on the ground. From Michael's laughter and relatively good aim, it had to be Harry that he hit - he wouldn't have missed that shot. I felt a wave of slashing pain run through me and I didn't want to look back.

I was going to kill him with my bare hands - I wanted to see the life drain from his face as I squeezed it out of him. I didn't care if this building brought me down with it while I did so - I had always said that my life would be over once Harry's was, anyway.

But when I turned, it wasn't Harry on the ground. And I felt ashamed to my very core that a wave a knee-buckling relief shot through my body.

"No!" I heard a roar and looked to see a very alive Harry trying to scramble up off the ground outside and run back into the building I was still standing in.

I ran for the door to Harry before Michael could take another shot at us and grabbed Harry's hand, pulling him with all of my might.

"We can't leave him!" he sobbed as he eventually stopped fighting against my grip. We were sprinting as fast as we humanely could away from the front entrance.

"We have to," I replied grimly. The sight was engrained in my mind but the previous panic I'd had, thinking it was Harry, was enough to drive my feet on. I wouldn't let that man get his hands on him.

I still had the pair of keys in my pocket for the car we drove here in. We had parked them around the other side of the building and I prayed the cars weren't damaged.

I could see in Harry's eyes that he would take any opportunity to run back so I opened the back seat and shoved him in, slamming the door behind him and locking the car. I heard footsteps behind me and swung around to see who it was.

"Are we all here? I think I saw Michael running back into the building - I didn't have time to wait around and see," Tom panted. Sweat was dripping off of him and he had a multiple cuts and bruises. "Where are Hugh and George?"

"I -," I began but was silenced again by the sound of more footsteps running towards us. Tom heard them too and immediately perked up, standing in front of me with his gun poised.

"Who's there?" he shouted. The sun had gone down and the navy sky was a huge hindrance. We couldn't see anything that wasn't five feet in front of us.

"I said who's there?" Tom replied, his finger over the trigger.

"It's me, it's me!"

Hugh could barely walk, never mind run from the gunshot wound to his leg. He stumbled passed us and leaned against the car for support, his chest heaving. I immediately rushed to his aid, supporting his weight.