Chapter 2 | L learns

You'd spent all night scanning the internet looking for any kind of information on the type of persacom L was. But you couldn't find a brand name, serial number or anything even remotely identifying on him. That drew you to the conclusion he was a custom model that someone must have built from scratch.

Deciding to see if you could access L's files, you had him sit next to you laptop and you plugged him in. After a moment of loading, a window popped up and asked for a password.

"Shit... if I don't know the password I can access anything..." you muttered.

"L?" He questioned.

It seemed he replaced any word or phrase he didn't know with his name, but from the tone you could kind of understand what he was trying to say.

You just couldn't fathom why someone would throw L out, he worked perfectly aside from his lack of current skills. But with a self learning AI, it would be easy to teach him with time and patience.

"L... do you know your password?" You asked.

L scanned his memory, but came up empty handed.

"Password, not learnt" he replied.

"Hmm... ok then. I guess I'll have to take you to an expert" you sighed.

It being late, and you having wasted a lot of time browsing the internet, you figured it was about time you went to bed. Luckily you did learn a few things about basic persacom function in your browsing, like the fact persacoms can sleep too it's like when a computer turns it's screen off when you're not using it.

You closed your laptop, and put it aside.

"Alright, it's time for bed. L, I'm going to teach you how to get ready for bed ok?" You said.

L stood up, his inner computer processing your words.

"L learn bedtime?" He asked.

"Yes, L learn bedtime. First, we get out the futon" you replied, opening the sliding door of the storage cupboard and pulling out the rolled up futon.

It'd be nice to have room for a proper bed, but in this tiny apartment, it wasn't going to happen any time soon. Although the convenience of being able to move and put away a futon for more space was an upside. You rolled it out, laying it out flat by the window where the curtain were open only a crack to let the moonlight in.

"Now we get the pillows and blankets off the second shelf" you said.

L processed for a moment, and turned to take the pillows and blankets off the self. He walked over and sat down opposite you, awaiting the next instruction.

"The pillows go up here, one for me and one for you" you directed, taking one of the pillows and putting it at the head of the futon.

"L" he stated, in a tone of confirmation.

L followed your actions, even patting the top of it to make sure it was fluffy enough to sleep on.

"Now we spread out the blanket, you take two corners and I'll take the other two. Then we can lay it out evenly and flat"

He took hold of two corners, and followed your movements laying out the blankets across the futon. You brushed the blanket out flat, not thinking anything of it, but after a moment of observing, L started to do it to. You snickered, he really did copy everything you did huh? It was kind of cute.

"Now we've made the bed, I'm going to put some pyjamas on ok? You just wait there" you said.

You got up, picked up your pyjamas and turned to get changed. But he spoke up again before you could.

"What pyjamas?" He asked.

"They're clothes for sleeping in. I'll have to get you some, for now you keep that on ok?" You replied.

You left to get changed, and L looked down at the shirt you'd put him in.

"Not pyjamas..." he muttered.

So there was a difference between awake clothes and sleeping clothes, and he was wearing awake clothes. But since he didn't have any others, he was allowed to sleep in it. Interesting... he catalogued the information, curious as to why humans had awake clothes and asleep clothes.

L knew a lot, and a little at the same time. His computer was programmed full of detailed instructions on how to move, talk, process data, access the internet, make phone calls and send emails. But he didn't know how to be a human yet, even though he looked exactly like one.

There was a vague sense of deja vu within him, something a robot shouldn't be able to feel. But he did, he had the feeling he'd learnt these things before but couldn't quite access the files. Like whatever was behind that password he didn't know, was everything he'd learnt before he was thrown out. He didn't know anything from before you turned him on, all he knew was what was in his programming and what you were teaching him.

And yet... he felt as if he'd done all this before.

Like that file was just out of reach, blocked behind a virtual wall he didn't have the hacking skills to breach.

You returned, now in pyjamas and switched off the lights. L looked up at the lights that were once on, and cataloged the change in brightness of the room.

"Dark" he said.

"Yeah, it's night time and I turned the light off" you replied.

The moonlight from the crack in the curtains was enough to light the room so you could see, and you slipped into bed ready to pass out for the night.

"Alright L, lie down" you said.

He followed your command, and may next to to. Even though he was a persacom, you put the blanket over him. He may not be able to feel the cold, but he looked so real your brain was telling you he could even though you knew he couldn't.

"Now we go to sleep, and wake up in the morning. I'll teach you lots of things tomorrow" you said.

He turned to look at you, his hair covering his eyes slightly. You were astonished by how real he looked illuminated in the moonlight, if it weren't for his ear ports sticking out from under his hair, you'd swear he was a real human being.

"What time do we wake?" He asked.

"Uhh... like 8 I guess. Suppose we should be up early tomorrow if we wanna go out and get you clothes, and see if a tech guy knows what you are" you replied.

"8am?"

"Yeah 8am"

There was a moment of soft electric whirling that came from him as he set his sleep mode to end at 8am.

"L wakes up at 8am" he confirmed.

You yawned, tired from wasting half the night away online.

"Yeah... 8am" you replied.

"What... that?"

It took you a moment to connect the dots, but realised he was talking about yawning.

"Oh, that's yawning. You do it when you're tired" you explained.

"(Y/n) tired?" He asked.

"Yep. It's bedtime ok? Let's sleep L. Goodnight"

Figuring out that 'goodnight' was said before going to sleep, he took a moment to document everything he'd learnt about bedtime.

"Goodnight" he replied, and shut himself off into sleep mode.

Closing his eyes, you heard the soft electric whirl switch off as he went into sleep mode. Lying next to you, now asleep you couldn't help but reach out and touch his cheek as he slept.

He just felt so real... his skin felt so soft and he wasn't hard like you'd expect having a computer inside him. He was warm to the touch, soft skimmed, slightly squishy and felt just like a human being.

"Amazing..." you muttered.