23: Swept under the rug

By the time you both reached your hut, you started to feel mildly better.

"Here we are; home sweet home." Spinel said out loud as she walked up the porch. She looked down to you, who still had a hand pressed against your mouth. "How're ya doing back there, squirt? You okay?"

You nodded but you still felt a heavy weight on your shoulders as well as a dull pain in your mouth. You may have managed to flatten most of your teeth, but your canines and a few teeth in the back refused to reshape to a normal length. Great. You thought. Hopefully I can keep from biting my tongue for the next few weeks. You both hurried in and you near enough slammed the door behind you.

Once in side, you groaned vocally into your hands, covering your face with both of them as you slumped into your couch.

"Ooohhh gosh! That was a disaster!" You whimpered, sliding your hands down your face. "How could I have put you through that tomfoolery!?"

"Tomfoolery?" Spinel lifted her brow at you as you sulked into your couch, too ashamed to meet spinel's questioning gaze. "I'm so sorry you had to see that, Miss spinel..."

Spinel stared at you. "Don't sweat it kid..." She walked upto you, as you kept your gaze on your feet. "I've seen... worse preformances..." she rubbed the back of her head. You hummed, shrinking further in your spot. There was a moment of silences as Spinel struggled to find the right words to comfort you, while you twiddled your thumbs, silently contemplating your failure.

Spinel opened her mouth to try and say something more comforting, but the words died on her tongue once she took the moment to take in how you looked. Now that she was close, she really saw at how you were about this whole ordeal.

Your tired posture... The disheartened expression...

It all felt painfully...

Familiar.

Spinel found herself wincing at a pang of longing in her chest

"H-Hey now kid. Don't beat yourself up over this." Spinel sat down beside you, lightly patting your back. "Today wasn't a total bust. After all, you were right about Little Homeschool; it ain't as bad as I thought I'd be."

Your eyebrows lifted in surprised. You finally braved a look up at her in surprise. "R-Really?"

Seeing you perk up a bit, spinel put on a small, if a little awkward smile on as she pulled you closer. "Yeah! I mean if it weren't for you I wouldn't have known that there were other ways gems could entertain themselves, let alone make a new name for themselves." She hesitated, feeling her face heat up in modesty. "And... the fact that everyone there seemed... fine with me there. Pearl especially."

You smile a bit, perking up a little. "See? I knew they'd understand."

Spinel lets out a soft, genuine chuckle, as she rubbed the back of her head. "Yeah well... you seem ta know a lot about this planet." There was a pregnant pause as she contemplated today's events yet again. Her smile faded as she recalled certain details. "Speakin' of knowin' stuff... exactly... how do ya know so much about pink? And about the other stuff?"

Your own smile fell, and you avoided spinel's eyes. "I... was just a gem from her court. It's... not really anything important."

Spinel sneered uneasily. "Well... clearly whateva happened there did a number on your-"

"I don't..." Your voice raised slightly over spinel's, prompting her to flinch. Your gaze was focused on the ground, and she could see your hands curl into fists for a moment. For a moment she was worried she might have triggered something again but, to her relief, you managed to steady yourself with a deep breath. You then brought your legs upto your chest, wrapping your arms around them. "I don't... really wanna talk about it right now..." You took another breath, though this one was shaky as you rested your forehead on your knees. "It's... I-I don't..."

Spinel sat in silence, staring pensively at your tiny form as you curled in on yourself, hugging yourself tighter. Squinting, spinel realized that you were visibly trembling. "(Name)... You-"

"No."

You suddenly straightened up, inhaling deeply through your nose and out your mouth. You reopened your eyes, and knitted your brow into an almost determined glare ahead. "I won't ruin this day any further with my silly antics."

The amount of resolve in your voice was so abrupt, it caught spinel off guard.

"Wait wha-?"

"Yeah! Today's gonna end on a positive note, yessiree!" You suddenly bounced up from your couch in a jolly, cartoonish manner making spinel flinch. "We can't go back to little homeschool, since it's gotten late out. So we can just spend the rest of the day in here, at home sweet home!" You spun around and fixed spinel with your trademark cheery smile, though it seemed a bit wider than usual which creeped spinel out. "How bout it, Miss Spinny? We can binge watch movies and TV shows and eat snacks all night long n' forget about this whole ordeal! Doesn't that sound swell?"

Spinel blinked a few times. She's seen you flip between moods, but there was something about this time around that made her feel especially uneasy.

It didn't quite help that your smiled didn't reach your eyes...

"I... Ehm..." Even with the alarms going off in her head, she didn't want to risk pushing the envelope with you just yet.
"S-Sure thing, kiddo."

You bounded happily on your toes, clapping your hands giddily. "Great! You go n' get yourself comfy upstairs and I'll get started on the s'mores and popcorn!" You bounded over to the kitchen giddily to gather your supplies. "Maybe I'll even order a pizza! Does that sound good?"

Spinel chuckled, putting on a cheerful front as she got up from the couch. "Sounds like a plan." You hummed gleefully in response as Spinel made her way up the stairs.

Once she was out of your sight, she grimaced to herself.

Oh Pink...

Just what have you done to her?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~