Chapter 44 - Medicine

"You're extremely lucky he wasn't able to give you another dose." The doctor murmured, going through their bag with vials.

Xavier gently held Jesse against his chest, aware that the young man was extremely stressed at this new, unknown person.

Their recovery center had finally received permission for an antidote to the drug still lingering within Jesse's system. But in order to get said antidote, a representative of the Council would need to give it.

However, Xavier was grateful that this was the representative the Council had sent. A revered and well known Kitsune, known as Hisoka, had appeared on their doorstep.

While the gender of the Kitsune was ambiguous, everyone knew that they were an extremely kind and well natured being.

Clacking their tongue, Hisoka shook their head. Long hairs on top swaying with the motion, grazing the cleanshaven undercut in their neck.

Their fingers still gently rested against Jesse's pulse, silently counting the heartbeats. "You're still experiencing some minor effects but with a drug this potent, even the minor ones can be dangerous with multiple doses."

Tapping a fingernail against the vial, Hisoka sighed. "All of these ingredients are extremely addictive on their own. I wouldn't be surprised if Draco had tested on other victims, who didn't survive."

Turning towards Jesse and Xavier, Hisoka's eyes softened as he focused his attention on Jesse. The poor pixie didn't know what to make of this man...woman?

Hisoka's voice, gestures, their entire being seemed to be both male and female. Unable to identify and pin down to a single gender.

Nevertheless, they seemed incredibly kind as they slowly explained what they were going to do. Explaining each step meticulously, allowing Jesse to withdraw and go on his pace every step of the way.

Even on the moments where Jesse withdrew, flinching against Xavier's chest when Hisoka revealed a syringe, the Kitsune wasn't bothered. Instead they smiled understandingly, speaking in soft, soothing tones.

"How are your other charges going?" Hisoka questioned, making Xavier smile warmly while he gently brushed his hand over Jesse's back.

"Good. Everyone is making great progress, all in their own pace and comfort zone of course. Security has been boosted thanks to two Leshens patrolling the area and we haven't had any problems so far."

Hisoka hummed, thanking Jesse sweetly when the young elf was finally able to reach his wrist out. "Thank you, Jesse. And don't get complacent Xavier. Trouble usually finds us when we least expect it."

Xavier stiffened slightly before murmuring hesitantly "Did you see-"

"I didn't foresee anything yet. But that isn't a guarantee ; the future isn't set in stone and can easily change course in a heartbeat." The Kitsune narrowed their eyes before shaking their head.

"While the presence of two Leshens will certainly ward off the worst, people won't know of their presence until they are either informed or physically see them."

Jesse expected a rush of heat to flood his body, much like back when the drug was injected into his veins. Instead, he felt nothing besides the slight prick before Hisoka produced a cottonwool ball.

"Press down gently, please." They stated, allowing Jesse to replace the two slender fingers of Hisoka with his own. "You might feel a bit tired throughout the day, but that's completely normal. Rest whenever you feel the need to. Personally, I think afternoon naps are absolutely delightful."