fourteen

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
fourteen: will they won't they
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

     Juliette awoke with the memory of last night. How close she was to Ricky, how his fingers grazed the piano keys, how he still wore that cologne she liked so much... she suddenly felt anxious and pushed herself out of bed and of the cabin, into the misty morning air.

     She hadn't even bothered to change, still wearing sweatpants and Ricky's hoodie from last night. She had returned so late to her cabin that, all her friends being already asleep, she did not want to bother them by turning on any lights. 

     The camp was quiet, no one, except for a couple of counselors, had woken up yet so she decided to sit in the wood benches around where the bonfires were usually lit. She enjoyed the morning calmness and, for a second, wished that she could stay like that forever, with nothing else to worry her. However, she knew what was happening today: Corbin was coming for rehearsal, Channing would be following all of them around trying to start some drama, she had to be fit for her Anna costume (just in case)... they had a busy day ahead of them and that instantly gave her a headache. 

     "Hey," a soft voice broke her peace, distracting her from her thoughts. "I heard you come out and... I was already awake."

     "Hey, Ash," Juliette welcomed her with a smile as she sat down besides her, a blanker over her shoulders. "Something bothering you?"

     "No. Yeah. It's this whole documentary thing. Don't you find it a bit... I don't know."

     "Weird? Yeah. It's like they want us to fight each other instead of focusing on what really matters," she agreed, both of them still looking straight ahead. 

     Their talk didn't last long, nonetheless, since everybody started to wake up. Thus, both redheads decided to walk to the cafeteria to get the delicious cinnamon rolls before they ran out. The table was unusually quiet that day. Normally, Gina would talk with Kourtney about the scenes they were to rehearse that day, E.J. would tell them all about upcoming camp events, Ricky would tell stupid jokes to get them to laugh... but none of them opened their mouth that day.

     Their minds were elsewhere and Juliette knew hers was in what was going to happen at rehearsal today, it was as if a dark cloud was over them. Therefore, as soon as she finished her breakfast, walked out of the cafeteria and got into the Honeycomb to change out of her pyjamas.

     "Juliette!" someone called from behind her. She turned around, only to see Ricky running up to her with something in his hand. When he got close, she noticed it was a bottle of cologne. "I figured... you used to like this a lot and maybe the hoodie does not smell like it anymore?"

     Her face broke in a smile, her eyes softening and looking at the boy in front of her. "I still like it, Ricky. Spray me up." And both teenagers laughing, Ricky sprayed the hoodie with Throb as Juliette twirled. Saying goodbye to each other, both of them parted their ways. Ricky's eyes remained on Juliette some more seconds, perhaps waiting for her to turn around. But she didn't. Instead, another voice called for her.

     Ben was walking up to her, hands in his pockets and her hair perfectly styled. "You never came back to the movie."

     "Yeah, I know, I'm sorry," she lamented, "something came up and..."

     "Does that something have a name and black curls?"

     "You could say that," she half-laughed, wishing for him not to be mad at her. "But nothing happened, it was just..."