Chapter 32: The Realisation

It's been a month since Earle disappeared, it was said that he returned home to recover due to bad health, but this didn't sit well with Tear.

In the meantime, Tear had gotten quite close with Alicia, he saw her as a friend, her bubbly positive attitude was a nice change and he could tell she did have some sort of intention by approaching him.

But he didn't know what, what he did know was it wasn't malicious intention so he let it slide... for now, especially since she is Earle's sister.

But he can't help but feel bitter now in the lone tower, there wasn't another presence that he had grown so fond of.

It was... lonely as sad as he is to admit. Being in the spacious tower alone was dull and depressing.

Even Lilian who was watching the whole time had no idea where he could've gone.

After all, she was watching closely on Tear and wasn't paying much attention to Earle unless he was with Tear.

There's only so much Lilian can watch and even she wondered where Earle went.

Suddenly a gentle knocking was heard on the door, Tear perked up with hope.

His eyes were slightly wide staring at that wooden door with a small gulp.

Could it be? Is it him?

The door slowly opened and his hopes shatter in an instant.

"Oh Tear there you are!" It was Alicia with a beautiful bright smile.

He hides his disappointed look with a poker face and just uttered, "hello Alicia, how did you get here?"

She walks over to his side comfortably but still keeps a small distance, he didn't mind it but still wishes it wasn't Alicia in front of him.

"Well after Earle left the teacher asked me to help maintain the tower, I'm surprised you are here."

Tear sensed she was lying, but he sensed no malicious intentions, however, her eyes, were the eyes of interest, something he was familiar with because those were the eyes he has once shown Earle, as long as it isn't malicious he didn't care, but it did felt weird.

Alicia started small talks with Tear and tried talking to him, but the conversations weren't anything special nor was it interesting.

Tear just felt more empty, even if Alicia talked about something he was interested in it wasn't the same.

Even Alicia noticed something was wrong, "you ok Tear? you seem off."

He kept a calm demeanour masking any emotions, "I'm fine."

Even when Alicia questioned it again he kept repeating the same thing like a robot with only one reply.

So she stopped pressing for answers, slipped a small sigh and asked that startled Tear a little with a question he didn't expect.

"Do you miss my little brother?"

Tear kept calm, on the inside he was shocked but the answer was clear, "... I do."

Alicia gently smiled, "it makes me happy to know some cares for my little brother's absence, I thought it was just me."

"... How sick is he?"

Alicia sighed, "... He's not sick."

He was quietly relieved to know this, he wanted to find Earle but it's quite difficult to able do so when he's under close supervision by his majesty's private soldiers and spies. They're all over the school working as regular workers, so if Tear was gone for an hour it can cause trouble not only that but Tear didn't have much power to be able to control or hide anyone to find Earle on his behalf.