012, 𝐫𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝

DEAR, EX

DEJA VU olivia rodrigo

all of monday was a wreck.

she kept trying to talk to chris, but kept getting stopped by matt.

at one point, while getting stopped for the third time, she spoke up.

"just let me talk to him." she sighs.

"i don't want chris involved," matt shakes his head. "you need to drop chase. he's like... lowkey abusive."

"how would you know?" she asks defensively, folding her arms over her chest.

"i've witnessed it. for the past six months! you trying to make him stop putting his arm around you. you guys arguing near the bathrooms or during past periods. him hitting you or pushing you, calling you worthless." he explains to her, and she looks down slightly. "you need chris back, because losing him got you roped into this." matt tells her, not even sounding angry. he sounds like he cares. and honestly, she thought all of them hated her. or maybe she was just used to getting yelled at.

"did i ruin it?" she asks, her eyes already warning her that a tear is about to fall because of what matt said about chase. she hates crying in front of people. hates it. but a tear falls as the words come out. she thought about it, yeah, just didn't ever say it out loud. she's an idiot for thinking things could fix themselves. for thinking that chase would magically go away.

matt stays silent, wanting to look away, but not being able to. he couldn't even look at her at the party when she was drunkenly sobbing. he hasn't seen her cry over chris in months, and he begins to get an extreme sense of deja vu.

matt and nick are sitting in his room, watching a youtube video.

suddenly, they hear muffled shouting from downstairs.

scar and chris never yelled at each other, not unless they were messing around.

"they've been yelling for like—" nick pauses the youtube video with a groan. "two minutes! they usually yell for a good 30 seconds then shut up."

"let's go stop them, then." matt rolls his eyes at nick as the two get up. as annoyed matt was, he smiles and laughs as nick angrily leaves the room, ready to yell at the couple.

but once matt and nick reach the halfway point of their staircase, they freeze.

"i just think it would be best!" chris exclaims with a loud volume. they're genuinely arguing.

"but you're not making sense!" scarlett shouts back, the pain in her voice visible.

"okay, then i'll make sense!" he replies. "i want to break up with you so i can do this for myself and for matt and chris. i can't focus on two big things at once."