Chapter 41

Madelaina:

As the afternoon sky bleeds into the inky blackness of autumn evening, my anxiety begins to grow.

I pace the kitchen, refusing to have a mental breakdown or eat one of the cookies from the tray that lies temptingly on the countertop.

If I do, I might just throw up.

I've been thinking about today since Althea dropped me off and I can't stop. She says I shouldn't feel guilty but I can't help myself.

I may or may not have gotten something in the midst of my own items that may or may not be for him.

As a guilt-slash-I'm-sorry-for-stealing-your-credit-card-and-spending-nearly-a-hundred-thousand-dollars gift.

At least I did that, right?

I decide that I should probably at least have something to eat since I haven't had anything after returning a few hours ago.

Warming up a glass of milk, I fill a plate with the cookies and make my way upstairs.

"Are you alright, Madonna? You are looking a little pale." Rose asks as I reach the top of the stairs.

"I'm fine. Just a little hungry. I'll be fine after I eat this." I answer, displaying my tray before continuing on to my bedroom.

I set the tray onto the table beside my bed and plug in my phone.

Since I haven't got anything else to do, I decide to take a quick shower and change into some comfy pyjamas.

The milk was piping when I first brought it up so now it has cooled to the perfect temperature.

I drink at the same time as completing my post evening shower routines. Lighting some candles, putting out a bowl for Salem, oiling my hair, skincare and grabbing my laptop before getting into bed. It's normally a book but I am currently in a slump that seems like it wants to stay for a while.

I am two episodes into Fate: The Winx Sage and two cookies short of running out when there is a knock on my door.

Pausing the show, I look over to the door. "Come in!"

It opens and Rose peeks her head through, her dark skin looking warm and gold in the candlelight.

"You have a visitor, Madonna."

My eyebrows scrunch a little. "A visitor?"

She nods and nervously flicks her eyes between in and out of the door.

"Who is it?"

A low voice sounds from behind her and although I cannot make out who it is, my heart begins to beat against my ribs.

Please don't be him, please don't be him.

She turns her head to me with wide eyes and I sit up a little straighter. "Let them in. You can go downstairs. I'll call you if I need anything."

She releases a breath and moves away, allowing the visitor to step inside.

Oh no. I asked for it not to be him!

"Evening, Principessa."

I jump out of bed and take a step back., holding out my hands as if he's a wild animal ready to attack at any moment. "Let me explain."

His brows furrow and he tilts his head. "Explain what?"

My pulse races and I will myself to calm down.

Does he not know? Has he not noticed? What else would he be here for?

"Nothing." I amend. "What are you doing here?"