twenty-three

Inez

I began to walk to my building after Alisha had dropped me off, knowing that there's a possibility he would be here today.

But I wasn't going to think about that, today was great so far and I'm not gonna let thoughts of a man who couldn't care less about me, ruin it.

I stepped into the building, feeling the air conditioner hit my bare legs. I was wearing tight black miniskirt, a white button down and a cropped blazer over top.

After checking in, I headed up to my office. I adjusted the temperature in my room and got to work, emailing a couple files of designs to co workers.

A couple hours later, I grew tired. I laid back in my chair shutting my eyes closed.

My phone begins to ring and it startles me, I open my eyes and reach for it. Receiving the call and putting it up to my ear.

"Yeah, Sarah what is it?" I asked, getting up and putting a binder back in one of my glass shelves.

"Do you know..? Um, well someone he keeps-"

"What?"

"Someone said he needs to talk to you- he keeps asking if he can come up."

I sigh, "Tell him I'm in a meeting."

"Ma'am-"

"Just tell him to leave." I hang up, setting my work phone down.

I can't believe him.

I knew who it was, although we worked at the same place, different sections. It wasn't necessary for him to come here. He's doing this on purpose.

Why can't he just leave me alone?

Just when I thought I'd gotten him to leave, I hear a knock at the door and spot him through the glass door which I can be seen through as well. Shit. Now I can't act like I'm not in here.

I headed to the door and opened it, my eyes meeting those of the man that I'd argued with three days prior.

He appeared the same as he usually did with the slight smirk on his face that couldn't be wiped off. I didn't know what to say to him but luckily he spoke before I did.

"Meeting, yeah? When did you start lying to your boss?" He asks, slowly walking me backwards so my back hit the desk behind me.

I crossed my arms over my chest, scoffing. "Just because your dad owns this company doesn't make you my boss."

"Why are you even here?" I asked, stepping away from him so I was cleaning my desk.

"To work." He rasps, meeting my gaze, I bring my gaze to the floor looking back up at him a couple seconds later.

I ignore his words and walk out of my office, walking into another room, handing a co-worker a handful of papers.

"These should be presented at the next meeting, and remember to use the slideshow I emailed you last week." I inform him.

"Thank you ma'am- Good morning, Mr Vernice." Suddenly his tone of voice becomes more frightened and his face pales, I realize Ronan is a couple steps behind me.

"Morning." His deep voice startles me from behind.

"What are you doing here sir?" Jack asks him.

"Helping out my favorite employee, she sure is doing her job right." He puts a hand on my lower back and I freeze, he lowers his head and turns so he's looking at me, "Right?"

I almost stop breathing but I contain myself, clearing my throat. "So yeah, next board meeting. Don't forget." I tell him, then walk out of the room.

I leave the meeting room and start walking faster, when I turn he's not following anymore so I let out a sigh of relief.