46. Code pink

"Hey! There you are!"

I smile, hearing Emma's excited calls. As I walk in the small restaurant, where most of her friend group already is. I try to ignore the fact I'm not one of the first. 

Alex gives me a wave. I wave back. Look around the table for a free spot. Flinch on the inside when the only seat is next to two people I don't know. 

But I guess I'll have to sit down soon, given the way the waitress is staring at me. The guy on my left is tall. Like, almost double my size tall. Okay, maybe not that much, but even Aiden would be short next to him.

He's full of tattoos, looking extremely dangerous. Alex's are less intimidating, because he's not fully tattooed, but this guy? He has his whole skin covered. 

The girl on my right is bubbly. She shouts over the table, joins in on every conversation and almost spills Emma's milkshake twice in the timespan of a minute.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to her," the tall guy whispers. I jump up in fright, not expecting him  to talk to someone as innocent-looking as me.

Get used to her? Fuck, she's worse than Nina.

I count the people in this friend group. Four guys and two girls. Damn.

"And you are?" Tall Guy tries again. I realize he's just trying to get to know me, because I'm starting to be a part of this group. I love that. "I'm Aaron. Do you follow the same classes as us? I'm sorry, I just haven't noticed you before."

The conversations at our table die out while everyone slowly looks at me. I cringe. What did I do now?

As I look at Tall Guy, I see him doubting if he should burst out in laughter or start glaring at me. Then, slowly, "No, I do not follow the same classes as you. I don't attend college."

I shrug, trying to keep it light-hearted. "Well, that's okay too. What do you do all day then? Just sitting at home is boring, right?"

He frowns. Looks me up and down as he raises an eyebrow. "Aaron, I teach at your college."

Oh—

My eyes widen. Oh shit. What is it with me and teachers nowadays? 

"Yes," he chuckles. "Sadly, my girlfriend isn't in my class. We do act like that, though. Her role-plays are the best."

I shiver. I did not need to know that. 

Emma pipes up. "Speaking of, where is she? Or did her so-called favorite teacher give her homework?"

He flips her the bird and sinks in his chair. "I swear to God, some of the professors on this campus are a pain in the ass. Like, seriously, Whitlock? Does everyone has to fail or what?"

I feel my cheeks start to get red and sink a little further in my chair. My flattered self gets even worse when I see Emma wink at me. Oh gosh.

"Aiden Whitlock. Fuck, that man drives me crazy. He's infuriating, fails all his students no matter what and picks out the best students to shit on! I mean, Lisa got an F because her handwriting sucks! What the fuck is up with that man?"