p19

maybe i'll actually publish this story today! yay!!🤗

(BRUCES POV)
when i woke up this morning, the idea of another bad party incident replayed over and over in my mind. what vance did. it was just easier to push him farther, i couldn't deal with it. but.. i did miss his sparkling eyes.. and maybe walking with him in the hallways. but no. i cant.

i cant miss him?! i have tara now, right? maybe i could ask her on a date at the party, like the boy everyone thinks i am. a normal boy. i think tara likes me anyway. at least i still knew which house was hers, but did i even belong there?

i decided to take my bike to school for the first time in a while. my wrist had finally healed (from the party) and i was able to take the brace off. after parking in one of the single bike stalls, i walked through the open school doors.

since tara wasn't in my first period class, i didn't really have anyone to talk to. vance wasn't there either. not like i would talk to him anyway. i walked in and sat down, pulling out a new book. but before i knew it, my teacher had already written a lesson plan up on the board, and now vance was in his seat right in front of me.

(VANCES POV)
i already knew what i wanted to do before i got to class. while shoving kids out of my way through the halls, i rushed to first period and sat down. he was looking down at a book and didn't notice me come in, but i watched his eyes trail from one sentence to another.

i opened my backpack, ripped a piece of paper from my notebook, and scribbled some words between the lines. without hesitation, i folded the note and passed it on to his desk:

v: hi. before you rip it up i just want to ask you something. -vance

b: hi. what do you need? -bruce

v: are you going to tara's party tonight?

b: yea i am.. are you??

v: oh uh yea. could i copy down your notes? i wasn't paying attention.

b: well maybe you should. you can copy them after class in our passing period.

v: thank you.. is your arm feeling better?

b: it's good i guess. glad i don't have to wear a brace anymore.

v: okay well that's good i geuss.

b: its actually guess. okay stop passing the note we're going to get in trouble.

(VANCES POV)
i stuffed the note in my pocket. a small smile spread across my face as i recited the words in my head, but bruce didn't have to know that. i spent the rest of class waiting to escape in the hallway with him. the minutes slowly ticked down as i concentrated on the thin arms of the clock.

as the bell rang to indicate that class was over i stood up and turned straight around to bruce. he looked up and we locked eyes, inches apart, but the memories between us still seemed to drive him miles away. he smiled while looking down to zipper his backpack.

we walked out to the hallway and stopped at his locker. the pages of his notebook flipped back and forth before he found the right set of notes, pointing them towards me. i could feel his eyes watching me as i grabbed a pencil.

my cheeks began to turn a light shade of red as my pencil ran across the paper. "your handwringing is actually neat," i said to him. "oh wow! are you saying you expected it to be bad, vance," bruce responded sarcastically.

"no of course not, dickwad. you know what i meant." bruce rolled his eyes but smiled and answered, "well you better hurry up with that writing. we have class in like thirty seconds." i finished the last sentence and we ran to class together. the strangers with memories who i hoped could be more again.

this one is actually kind of a good length!! also i wrote this super late at night so i'm sorry if it's bad! lmk!!🤗

705 words