Chapter 6 | L cleans

This mysterious N person Misa told you about seemed right be your best bet on getting help regarding L. So you'd sent them an email asking for help, and you just had to wait for a response and hope they were willing to try.

In the meantime, you were spending the day doing some cleaning. You were lucky enough to be living in a relatively cheap and decent quality area, and on your current pay being raised working in a ramen bar you could afford to make things a little nicer in your apartment.

Whenever you went out to work, L stayed home to protect your stuff and according to him he'd spend the days reading things on your shelves to learn more. He seemed to quite like reading, and had requested another book from the bookstore next time you went out with him.

So with his fondness of books, you figured you could have him clean and organise the bookshelf today.

"Ok, so all the books can be put back in order once all the dust is cleaned off it. Only a few sprays should be enough" you explained, handing him a cleaning spray and roll of paper towel.

"Ok! L will make sure the bookshelf is super clean!" He smiled.

"Good boy. Now hang on let me pull your hair back so it doesn't get dusty"

You took a bandana and tied it over his head to keep his hair covered and out of the way while you both caused a dust storm cleaning, and put an apron on him too to keep his clothes clean.

"I'm going to clean the tatami mats so be careful not to trip on the gaps in the floor ok?" You said.

"Ok!"

He was eager to help, he insisted that he loved to help you do things. So he was quick to start pulling the books off the shelf and stack them on the floor to empty the shelves and clean them. While he was occupied with that, you pulled the tatami mats from their spots in the floor and took them downstairs to the front of the building where you planned to whack all the dust and dirt from them before sweeping them down.

The whole apartment was being cleaned and re-organised today, and with L's extra help you'd probably be able to get it done relatively quickly. Without him it'd take you a few days to get through the whole place, finding L was turning out to be super useful for things you didn't even think about.

L wiped down all the shelves until they were spotless, making sure no dust was left behind at all. He wanted to do exactly as you'd told, that way you'd be happy. He liked to make you happy. Beginning to go through all the books to organise them in alphabetical order, he sat on the floor and began to stack them all in sections to make putting them away easier.

"Author starts with 'a' sound... so this goes first..." he muttered, checking the book and placing it in its stack.

He picked up the next book, finding the author started with a 'j' so he put it in a separate pile for J authors.

The next book he found to be part of a series, and had a number on the spine for the volume.

"Hmm... author starts with A and is a series. The numbers go in order..." he said, looking for all the issues to put together in order.

You had a lot of manga, and text books from school, various fiction books and some cook books too. L decided to organise them all both by alphabetical order and by type. All the manga on one shelf, all the novels on another, all the cookbooks on the next shelf etc. Using all the data he'd collected wandering around the bookstore he found his book in, he figured this was the best way to organise them so it was easy to find exactly what you needed.

"Doing good L?" You asked, coming back inside to get a broom.

"L's organising by alphabet and type!" He smiled.

"Well done, you're pretty fast at this"

"L used data from bookstore to help organise most efficiently"

It was rather interesting seeing how he used the data he collected from day to day life. His AI never ceased to amaze you.

"Woah, that's pretty smart of you. When you're done come downstairs to help me with the tatami mats ok?" You replied.

"Ok!" He said, turning back to his stacks of books.

Thanks to his AI, reading all the authors and titles was a breeze to him and he was able to organise things with a mere glance. He stacked all the manga in order on the top shelf, all the novels and cookbooks in order, all the magazines in order. Everything was organised properly until the shelves were full and everything he'd cleaned was spotless.

He even found a place on the shelf for his book, in with the fiction novels section.

Proud of himself for completing the task, he went downstairs to meet you like you'd asked. Outside he found you cleaning off the tatami mats you'd propped up on the bike racks in the front courtyard of the apartments.

"L is all done! Every book is organised and the shelves are clean" he said.

"Good job, I'll show you how to help me clean the mats now" you smiled, giving his head an affectionate pat.

Learning how to clean the mats with you came easy to him, he was able to watch your exact movements and copy them. As you both used brooms to whack the dust and dirt out, and sweep anything else off, the owner of the building came out to do some of his own cleaning.

"Ah (y/n) and L, nice to see you two keeping things neat" Watari said, carrying some garden equipment.

"Oh, hey. Sorry if there's a lot of noise, I'm trying to get all the floors cleaned" you replied.

"Good morning Mr Watari!" L greeted, just like he'd learnt to.

Watari seemed rather impressed with how fast L was learning. When you first bought him home he couldn't even say a single word, and now he was helping you clean and speaking full sentences.

"You're doing well aren't you L? Helping clean I see" Watari said.

"He's organised all the books too, he's being very helpful today" you added.

"L's making sure everything is organised and clean so the apartment is nice and neat! It makes (y/n) happy, which makes L happy" L smiled.

L's smile was contagious, making you and Watari smile too.

"It's almost like you were built to help people, maybe that computer brain of yours is programmed to help other people" Watari said.

"At this point I'm starting to think he does have some kind of helping programming in him, he's always insisting on helping and learning new things. I've never seen a persacom like him, it's amazing how fast he learns and how much knowledge he retains" you replied.

L couldn't help but get that nagging feeling of déjà vu again, something behind that password of his was nagging him, begging to come out. But he couldn't quite figure it out, even he himself was unaware of how powerful he was. A computer shouldn't be able to feel emotions, it can identify them, but not feel them. And yet, he was feeling them. The déjà vu, the happiness of making you happy, the proudness of completing a task, the curiosity of learning something new.

He could feel, no other persacom could.

And he found it weird that the feeling of Deja vu happened when he read his book and when he met Watari.