Chapter 26: The Nature of Escalation

NOTE: Thanks for waiting for this chapter. Expect the next one to be in two weeks or so. I cannot free any more time than I already am giving to this so I apologize for that.

Discord: https://discord.gg/wEp44XuaT3

・・・

Cent. Calendar 11/12/1639, Senate Building, Esthirant, Parpaldia, 10:40

It was yet another typical late morning in the grand city of Esthirant, the gleaming capital of the Parpaldian Empire. However, what wasn't typical was the dreary downpour descending upon the city; a low-pressure area coming from the southwest was passing through, drenching the southern Philadean coast with slightly more rainfall than usual. Bad weather notwithstanding, life in the city continued and persisted; horse-drawn coaches filled the cobblestone streets that crisscrossed the city while long coat-wearing Parpaldian citizens took to the sidewalks with umbrellas deployed. The shouting of newspaper boys, chirping of constabulary officer whistles, and the clacking sound of hundreds of iron horseshoes dominated the otherwise rain splatter-filled background noise.

Elsewhere in the big city was the Villeurgues district, home to many of Parpaldia's important facilities, such as the Imperial Mint, the Bank of Parpaldia, and the South Philadean Railway Company (SPRC). Wide open concrete parks and towering stele monuments also characterized the Villeurgues district, complementing its wide four lane streets which were still awash with traffic despite the rain. Another signature feature of the district was that it contained the legislative heart of the empire: the Senate Building. The building was a massive square structure, but it was its southern facade, which faced the main boulevard cutting through the district, that stood out the most with its larger-than-life, realistic statues of former Parpaldian emperors and empresses which adorned the imposing columned walls.

Inside the building, the imperial Senate had gathered in attendance at one of its halls, with senators seated on seats on increasing tiers shaped like a semi-circle–just like an amphitheater. At the very bottom tier were news crews from different media outlets of not just Parpaldia but of other countries as well, gathered with their microphones and cameras of varying technological sophistication and all pointed towards a raised wooden podium facing them. Before long, the sound of idle chatter that had filled the room was interrupted by the loud voice of someone speaking through a megaphone.

"His Majesty, Ludius, Emperor of Parpaldia, will now be speaking!"

The hushes and chatter in the chamber immediately disappeared, replaced by the creaking of cushions and mahogany chairs as senators and visitors alike stood up in response to the announcement. Just as they did so, a figure with a dashing crimson coat and properly gelled hair walked up to the podium, his deathly stare intimidating enough to cause a land dragon to cower was perhaps the single most threatening force in the room to the senators. He stood with a seemingly perfect straight back, notwithstanding the immense weight of being the imperial sovereign he carried on his shoulders. He was none other than Ludius Gallaire, regal name Ludius, Emperor of Parpaldia.

Today was supposed to be a regular Senate meeting, which was usually an endless back and forth from supposedly all-important statesmen representing the interests of the people across the vast continental realm Parpaldia commanded, debating over the great problems that plagued the modern era. However, this was not going to be the case this time; not because the Emperor was in attendance, although that in itself was a unique occurrence, but rather because there was something else that loomed over the empire, casting a shadow greater than any refugee crisis, rampant resource mismanagement problems, or budgetary concerns could ever cast. The shadow was that of Altaras; more specifically, its idiotic, perhaps even insane despot, Taara. Just the other day, he had issued Royal Edict No. 437, an edict that the Parpaldians consider to be an uncalled-for escalation to the ongoing trade war. Eager to respond in kind, the Senate–and by extension, the people–awaited the retaliatory measures the imperial government had in store.