47. Heart

"Yes

"Yes. That's me."

I frown, hearing a girl babbling through Aaron's phone. "Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm Aaron's friend. Aaron, say hi to your sweetheart. I think he's quite jealous. He should be. I'm fucking amazing."

"Hi," Aaron sounds through the phone instead of that irritating girl. He sounds tired, worn out, and I just wish I could teleport to him. "You want me to come, baby?"

"No, we want you to go to the moon," the damn girl snorts. "Of course we want you to come get him. Hey, are you Micah Templeton? Because there's a teacher at our school whose name is Micah too."

"I already told you it's not him, Emma. Contrary to what you believe, I'm not fucking every male teacher in this school. Hey, Micah, do you know some Theodore guy? I'm so confused. One second he's a student and the other he's a teacher. He's changed five times! My brain is going to explode!"

Does he mean Theodore DiScenta? 

"I do know a professor with that name," I cautiously say. DiScenta is not one I want Aaron to meet. He's always rude to Sebastian, just because he knows Seb's dad. 

"See!" "I am so confused," Aaron groans. "Micah, I know we're only meeting up at seve, but could you maybe come get me? Please? Emma won't let me go home alone, and  . . . you know, I sleep better with you and all. . ."

This boy is too damn precious for this world. 

"Where are you? I promise I'll be there soon." I've already got my keys. It doesn't have to take long to find him. 

"You know that milkshake restaurant? It's like five minutes from campus. Emma, do you know the address?" "It's on Bergner Road."

Grateful at least one useful thing came out of her mouth, I storm down the stairs and run to my car. 

Bergner road isn't too far away from my house, and I'm able to drive there in a record time. A girl is walking around a sitting Aaron, who looks like he's about to pass any second.

I park my car on the side and get out, immediately walking to Aaron. He reaches for me, and then he's in my arms. I've got him tucked to my chest, so close, with one arm locked around his head. 

"Well, you're slow," Emma, his friend, snaps. I slowly look at her, eyebrow cocked. "Excuse me?"

"We've been waiting here for ten minutes! Why didn't you come sooner?" she comments. I grunt, annoyed. "I was here three minutes after you called. But I'm sure he was in your good hands."

"Hey," Aaron whispers, "Don't fight. Emma is my friend. Micah is my boyfriend. You're supposed to get along. Em, I get along with Isaac, don't I? Why can't you be nice to Micah?"

I smirk. He's gotten so much more confidence, and I absolutely love that. He's not the same small, broken boy I found in the snow anymore. He's gotten so much stronger, so much healthier in his mind . . . he's finally able to live his life like he should.

And even though he has to face his worst nightmare in the courtroom in just a few days, he can stay happy. He'll win the case, and he'll lock them up for life. 

"Shh, I've got you," I whisper to him. He hugs me tighter, completely wrapping around me. I do not mind a single bit.

I glare at Emma. "You're his so-called fucking friend, huh? Why the fuck didn't you just tell him the truth about DiScenta? You only fuck with his head!"

She rolls her eyes. "Okay, turns out you are the damn Templeton. Listen. I don't know how your relationship with Aaron works, but he tells me all the tea, so I will find out. And yeah, DiScenta? Maybe he doesn't want everyone to know that Yearwood's father killed his mom!"

I realize too late Aaron just heard everything. He looks up at me with big eyes. 

"What is—" "That's not my shit to tell," I grit out. "And neither is it your friend's."

I am aware I am causing a scene. But fuck, this wasn't meant to happen. Sebastian wanted to tell Aaron, he really did, but he needs time. Of course he does. 

His friend seems to calm down. Her eyes are glinstering with tears. "Oh, Aaron, I'm so sorry. I should've never told anyone my suspicions about you and Whitlock. And I should've told you about Theodore. I'm just— I was just so happy to be your friend, and I forgot this is all new to you. This is just how our friend group works. I'll try to remember that, okay?"

Aaron nods in my neck. I give Emma one last glare before making my way over to my car. Just when I've put Aaron in the passenger's seat and closed his door, she calls after me. "Micah! I-I'm sorry, I didn't know he didn't know yet. If-if this caused problems, I'm really sorry. I just want to be his friend."

My shoulders slump as my head lowers in frustration. She can't see my face, since I'm with my back towards her. This is so fucked up. I want Aaron to have friends. I want him to enjoy his college time. But from all the students on this campus, he has to choose just the ones we have trouble with?

"I'll see what I can do."

Then I get in the car and don't look back as I drive off. Aaron has made himself comfortable. He's staring up at me, but I need to take a few breath first.

"So . . ." he mumbles. "I'm not gonna be mad, you know. My dad sucks too. And I would understand if you'd rather have that I, um, broke up with Emma and the rest."

My head snaps to him. "What? Oh, baby, no. They're your friends. Haven't been great ones, but I don't want you to go back to being all alone. We'll find a way to talk to them."

He gives a small shrug. "I wouldn't be alone. I've got you."

This boy. He deserves the whole world. He deserves everything.

Beginning with my heart.