Chapter 3 Run for your life

All of us froze with horror, before breaking into a full out shouting match again. My head started to spin as I felt them approach closer. Nine miles, seven, six. I wish I could be as optimistic as Natalie about these people. Agitation began to build up inside me; what are we supposed to do in a situation like this?

“We can still out run them!” Fred argued; his face twisted into a look of agitation that I never thought was possible on his face. His left arm was griping Natalie tightly like she was going to disappear into thin air in any given second.

If I was only mildly panicky before, Fred’s expression had caused me to start into a full-out panic attack. My breathing began to shallow and my heart started to beat wildly inside my chest like it was hypnotized; it was like someone was turning the inside of my body around and around. My vision started to swim a little and Owen seemed to sense my state of unwell and grabbed hold of my right arm to support me.

“We need to go.” I said weakly, fighting the nauseating feeling in my stomach and clutched my head with my free arm. However, as I said it I realized that we were too late, the other team of POE had locked in on us and I could tell that Natalie heard them approaching. Fast.

Suddenly Tom shoved me backwards causing me to tremble into Holly’s arms.  Holly caught me quickly as Oscar stepped forward from behind and shield us behind him. Fred’s arm clutched around Natalie protectively and looked around the back with his lower jaw clutched tightly. I had never seen him this nervous before.

“We can’t outrun them.” Tom stated and gave Fred a glare, as if the whole situation was his faul. “Might as well get prepare and see what they want.”

I tried to fight the dizziness in my head, but it was like my body was refusing to let me focus at all. I resist the urge to hurl – as if we didn’t have enough to deal with already.

Each second that ticked by was like torture, each lasting a life time.  I kneeled on the ground, trying to stop my head from spinning. It was like my body was trying to send me a message, and it won’t stop until I get it.

Holly was kneeling right beside me, one arm hovering protectively on my back and the other out to fight at the slightest notice. I could feel Natalie’s worrying glance and heard her muttered something to Fred, who sighed in response.

“They are nearly here.” Owen whispered and everyone tensed up in anticipation. The dizziness intensified and I felt like I was being rocked from the core of my body. My eyelids started dripping shut on its own accord and it took a great deal of effort for me to keep them open.

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” a deep voice teased. My heart skipped a beat; this guy sounded middle age – there went the theory of them being a group of survivors from POE Academy. Not that I held much hope for that anyway.

“If you will excuse us, we need to get going.” Tom said; his back tensed. “Our friend is not feeling too well.”

Finally mustered enough strength I looked up and studied the group standing before us; the group of nine were all dressed in full camouflage gear completed with huge backpacks each. The middle age man who spoke was standing slightly in front of everyone else right in the middle.  There were a mix of Caucasians and Asians in the group, and most of them seemed to be in their late twenties to sixties. The other thing about this group was they were all male.

Two Chinese guys in the group were eyeing Holly and Casey up and said something to each other loudly in Chinese, before bursting into loud laughter. Natalie took a sharp intake of breath, she must have understood it.

“Tom, Oscar, we need to get out of here. Now.” Natalie whispered furiously, fear laced in her words. Whatever the two guys had said must be bad.  My illness seemed to be subsiding now and I took another look at them; they were eyeing all the girls in our group and I certainly didn’t like the way their eyes gleamed with lust. In fact, they were so vile that I could sense their dirty thoughts all the way from where I was. Oh god, I want to vomit.