43. the ol' ball and chain.

F O R T Y - T H R E E
the ol' ball and chain.

Otto wanted her choice back, because Earth fucking sucked.

One may think that after getting shot, having someone cuting your stomach open, stitcing your liver shut, and stealing one of your kidneys doctors might leave you alone for a second. But no, they get you up and walking way too quickly (in her opinion,) the same thing happened after she gave birth, she'd wrongly assumed they'd give you you day to sort yourself out.

The day after she woke up a nurse who was by all accounts a lovely woman had the job of getting her up, deciding she'd had enough rest.

While trying to get up with the help of the nurse Otto made countless disapproving sentences, and as soon as Otto even looked like she was in the slightest bit of pain JJ started questioning things.

Did they need to do this?

Could it wait?

She just got shot, surely she should still be in bed?

She was in pain, could they not give her more pain killers?

"JJ, please shut up." She said, whilst holding the hands of the nurse who was probably doing all the work in keeping her upright.

Over the next five days she built up her strength enough to walk for a little while, she wasn't running a marathon anytime soon but it was far enough that she would be able to get around the flat mostly.

The day they got home Otto essentially slept the entire day, she hated the hospital for many valid reasons so sleeping in her own bed was wonderful and she finally got a full night's rest.

Once again, she was band from even looking at a nappy, he had essentially made his own law that she wasn't allowed to do anything other than hold and feed him.

He was absolutely terrified she might fall over, or get sick, he just couldn't let that happen.

The Pogue's came round a few times after she got shot, often hanging out for a few hours before going home. They too seemed terrified that is they moved too quickly or made a sudden noise she'd instantaneously die, it made her roll her eyes.

"Fucking hell, I may be a little broken but I'm not on death's door amymore, I'm back in the land of the living. Start acting like it."

It took JJ a good few weeks before he finally realised Otto wasn't going anywhere. That she was going to be okay.

Before that sunk in he'd stay up for hours anxiously watching her chest, making sure it still rose and fell, watching her face twitch as she slept. If she was still a little too long he'd do something little that stirred her a little without completely waking her up; like brushing her hair from her face or pulling the sheets up. He still felt like she was as the doctor put in 'far from out of the woods,' that at any second her heart would stop and that would be it.

JJ couldn't live without her, she was completely changed his life, she changed every single aspect of him. She changed stuff he never thought possible.

She also told him what to do, and it was always better than his plan so he followed along happily. So he'd be pretty fucked in that aspect.

One morning after she got a particularly good night's sleep she woke up as JJ was walking out the bathroom after taking a piss.

"I love you."

It hadn't slipped out, she meant to say it. She meant it with every fibre of her being, she finally figured it out. She realised while she was laying in the Twinkie after getting shot, looking up at JJ that she loved him.