Chapter 7 | L meets N

The mysterious N you'd been talking to definitely knew their stuff, all it took was some emails and pictures of L sent to him to have him intrigued and agree to help. You expected a wise old man or something, a tech expert graduate from a top university. So when you walked in the door to his house, you were shocked to find him a mere 14 year old boy.

Near as he was called, had quite the collection of persacoms all helping around the house as if they were older siblings. Parents? Nowhere to be seen. He says he does have adoptive ones, but they work during the day and hence, weren't there at the time. Even though you found it a little strange this small 14 year old boy was trusted alone in an expensive house with tons of persacoms, you figured you'd not judge the strange ways of the family and just accept the help from him.

"He's amazingly crafted..." Near muttered, examining L from head to toe, taking in all the details.

"You think he's a custom? Everyone else I've asked says so" you asked.

"No doubt about it, he's definitely a custom. No persacom on the market has a slouch or eyebags like that, someone made him from scratch"

L allowed the smaller boy to look in his eyes, ear ports, the chords and plugs he had. All while not making a fuss and staying well behaved, L was rather used to people poking around with his tech by now.

"I think it's safe to say everything from the skeleton to the hair rooting was done by hand, I don't know a single brand that makes persacoms like him. And with such a complex AI, he must be programmed from scratch too" Near explained.

The kid was clearly extremely intelligent for his age, despite how small he was and his oversized pyjamas swallowing him, his brain was clearly massive. All that knowledge has to be stored somewhere.

"He has a password that I can't get past, he doesn't know it either so I haven't been able to get into his files. You think you could?" You asked.

"I can definitely try, I'd love to know what he's made from as well. I've never seen a persacom like this" Near replied.

He checked L's chords and ports again, making sure they were compatible with his persacoms.

"He seems to have a universal port so anything the right shape can plug into him. This shouldn't be too hard, L can you sit down for me?" He instructed.

L nodded, sitting on the nearby sofa.

"Matt, can you run a scan on him and try to break past the password?"

A persacom in Nears collection stepped up, he had red hair, wore stripes and his ear ports were painted to match the stripes on his shirt. The top red and bottom black. He wore goggles around his neck, and stood much taller than Near.

"I'll back everything I find up onto my hard drive so you can transfer it to your computer" he replied.

Matt sat beside L, taking a chord from his ear port and plugging it into L's.

"Matt's my most tech powerful, I designed him specifically for hacking and programming so if he can't break past it, then no one can" Near explained.

Matt being a full size custom gave you some hope, Rem was too small to handle such a big task, but hopefully Matt could.

"Ready L?" Near asked.

"Ready!" L replied, eager to crack that password as well.

"Commencing scan..." Matt said, the two persacoms entering said mode and a blank look coming over their faces as they tried to exchange data.

While Matt attempted to break through L's password, you decided to take the time to ask Near a few questions. After all, being 14 and so smart must make life rather interesting.