5.

aoa will always slay

CHAPTER - FIVE 

For as long as I could remember, I'd always spent my birthdays alone.

From the faint memories I had of my childhood, I knew my mother and I always celebrated my birthday together when she was alive. Sometimes, I dreamt of flashes from those days - my tiny hand in hers, carousels, her laughing - and sometimes, they made me tear up.

"Go away," I mumble, turning over to the other side on the bed when I hear whistling. I already knew who it was and I wasn't in the mood to play along with his antics tonight.

I'd stayed up till midnight to do my ritual - place a double chocolate cupcake on my desk, stick a thin candle in it, light the candle with my late mother's lighter that she apparently used to flare up her shame cigarettes, say 'Happy Birthday' to myself, blow it out and go to sleep. I usually made a wish before blowing out my candle but the last time I'd made a wish, I'd conjured a demon with it so to be on the safe side, I stayed away from the wishes.

While I had only one ritual in my life that I repeated every year on my birthday, Demon boy had developed his own ritual since he'd met me almost a month ago. He'd fly in, late at night and no amount of locked doors could keep him out. Then, he'd make his presence known - either by flopping onto my bed or by resorting to other antics such as running his cold hand up the length of my shorts covered legs, poking my sides and trying to tickle me or pulling the pillow out from underneath my head.

"Wake up, snoring beauty." He coos.

He was annoying and I was losing a lot of precious sleep. Having him around made me stress eat to the point where I'd once engulfed an entire Belgian chocolate cake in one sitting. That wasn't anything new for me since I'd do it all the time before but since my body changed due to the wish, I'd hoped I could keep it that way by eating healthier and pressing pause on the sweet treats. However, I didn't get to manage myself better because demon boy hovered around me every second, making me eat more and more and more. And now? My collarbones were gone! My face also began to look more swollen as the days passed by and the jawline was a distant memory. My thunder thighs had returned so I could no longer fit myself into my new jeans. Ugh, this demon was ruining my life!

"What do you want?" I spoke into my pillow.

"You're drooling." Demon boy says and sure enough, when I lift my head enough to peer at my pillow, there's drool over it. I wonder why I didn't feel it on my cheek though. I flip the pillow to the other side and lay my head, intending to continue sleeping. "You're gross." He points out like a child. "And you snore way too loudly. I took a walk around your house and I could hear you from downstairs." He continues speaking. "And your pillow is stained with drool. You basically just sleep on dried drool. That's-" I hurl the drool pillow at him. He makes a sound of disgust. A minute later, there's a small sound and then silence.

And with that, I know he's gone. For the night, at least.

But he really wasn't because I can still feel his touch on my skin. And when I bought the pillow back under my head, pulled the comforter over my body and closed my eyes, I dreamed of a masked face with a taunting voice and bright, shining hazel eyes with violet specks staring back at me.

My birthday was on a weekend.

Many people at my school would be disappointed if their birthday was on a weekend because they liked to walk in through the school entrance with vivacity and receive wishes from everyone. That wanted to be the center of attention. I did too at one point. Until I realized that it would make me feel more nervous and shy than happy and welcoming. And besides the initial attention I received to my changed appearance from my peers at school, the whole thing had pretty much died down and it was back to no one caring. So if they barely remembered me, then I'm betting they had no clue about my birthday. So, no birthday party for me either.