Chapter 89-Keefe

The first thing he noticed was the light.

Tiny, little kaleidoscopes of colors landing on the bed, his blankets, and the floor.

Next  were the emotions. There were many, many, many emotions, though none of them suffocated him like the last time he woke up.

And finally, the faces. As he focused on on the separate faces, Fitz, Biana, Dex, Elwin, Oralie and—

A blur flew at him, and suddenly Keefe was face to face with brown eyes. As she stared at him, her eyes searching his, his lips curved into a smile. "Hey, Foster."

Then it seemed as if all the fight rushed out of her, and her eyes filled with tears. Keefe pulled her close to him as tiny shaking sobs racking through her body.

"I hate you," she muttered, her voice raw, burying her head in the crook of his neck.

"Could've sworn you just said you loved me," Keefe teased, his arms automatically curving around her waist, but one hand rising to her head, tangling his fingers into her hair.

When she let out a muffled mumble, he grinned. "I love you too, Foster."

Her weak laugh vibrated against his chest.

"Dude."

Keefe glanced up.

Fitz glared at him.

Keefe grinned back.

Biana wordlessly handed a small box to Fitz, and said, "Soph? Might want to move for a second."

Sophie sat up, and shifted, right as Keefe asked, "Wait, why?"

Then the box of Prattles hit him on the face.

"You suck, dude," Keefe groaned, rubbing his face.

Fitz rolled his eyes. "Says my previously unconscious best friend."

"Whatever."

After many hugs and punches and much "Abuse!" as Keefe liked to call it, he settled back onto his bed.

Then he let out an oof as Sophie tackled him in a hug again.

He examined everyone over her head, noting the differences in their appearances.

Sure, elves didn't noticeably age, but the adults all had more lines on their faces.

And Fitz looked... well, not that different. More mature maybe, but pretty much the same.

Biana's hair, pulled back into a ponytail with strands of hair framing her face, had been cut short to her shoulders, and was wavier than he remembered.

Bangs Boy still had bangs, so where was the surprise there?

Wylie and Lihn, much like Fitz and Tam, looked nearly the same, though Linh's hair didn't hide her face as much—it was twisted in an intricate set of braids, and she looked more confident and calm.

Dex was taller—like, way taller.

Marella was still petite, but her hair had been chopped to her shoulders like Biana's, though there were still tiny braids throughout.

Stina, in the back corner, had straightened hair, with bangs falling in wisps over her forehead.

Sophie now had a middle part instead of a side part, along with longer hair.

And everyone seemed older, more mature.

Maybe they were.

A sinking feeling formed in his chest as Keefe wondered how many days he'd lost when he was still broken.