22

Boma successfully reached the main gate and exited without encountering Phillip. Outside, she quickly took a cab headed for the campus.

On her way, she noticed Phillip driving toward the direction of the estate. She turned her face away to avoid him getting a glimpse of her.

Once she reached the campus and entered a shuttle inside, her phone started ringing with a number she could not recognize.

She wanted to receive the call but the shuttle began to move and she could not receive the call because it became quite noisy with the noise coming from the engine.

The phone stopped ringing but then the caller was calling again. She waited until the shuttle dropped her outside the library. Then she received the call.

"Hello." She said, moving to a corner and hiding behind a pillar. She was afraid of being sighted by anyone that might tell Donovan about her whereabouts.

"This is Phillip. Where are you?"

"I'm- I'm-" she searched for what to say. "I went for a walk."

"But you know I was on my way to pick you up."

"Yeah. It's just that I felt like I needed some air."

"Look, the security mentioned you were going to meet me halfway. Where are you so I can come and get you?"

"I...actually, I rushed out to campus for a class."

"Boma, it's a lecture-free day for art students." He reminded her.

Boma stayed silent. She knew she was busted.

"Tell me the truth. I don't want to call Donovan yet and tell him you're not home. You know how he gets. It's not too late and I can come to pick you up."

"I'm- I'm-" she stuttered with confusion and fear.

"Do you want me to tell him you're not in the house?"

"No." She said quickly. "No, please no, don't tell him. I'm begging you, please."

"Where are you?"

"I am at the library."

"You should have just said so. And you should have said something so I wouldn't have to drive to the house when I could have just come to the library."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Did you tell him you were going to the library?"

"No. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing."

"Hmm. I figured. But next time please don't do that. If he finds out about this, you know there will be fire on the mountain."

"Please don't tell him."

"I won't. Just be careful. I'm on my way."

"Okay. Thank you."

Boma breathed a sigh of relief and hurried into the library. Her phone began to ring with Donovan's call. The library attendant glared at her because of the loud ringtone, so she put the phone on vibration.

Then she moved to a corner and took the call.

"Hello." She said.

"Is Phillip with you?"

"Not yet. He uh- called and said he is close, so I'm going to meet him at the gate."

"Don't do that. Stay in the house. I don't want you stressed. Let him get you at home, alright?"

"Okay."

He ended the call and she entered the library, where a hooded Fidelis was waiting for her on a table with a book.

She rushed over to him. He grabbed her hand and took her to a corner of the library at a private partition.

"Oh my God, Fidelis." She said quietly. "What happened?"

"I'm sorry I did not communicate. My cousin has used his cultist powers to threaten me off the campus."

"I know. He told me it was because of my closeness with you. I'm so sorry."

"Why didn't you tell me you were involved with a cultist? a point one for that matter?"

"I'm not dating him."

"Then what is the deal with him?"

"He wants me. I said no but he won't take no for an answer."

"Look, you seem like a nice, simple girl. How did you get involved with someone like him? He has danger written all over him. Didn't you see it?"

"I was minding my own business at the dazzle bar. That's where he saw me."

"You went to the dazzle bar? Nobody intimated you about that place?"

"I regret it now but there is nothing I can do."

"There is something you can do. You can change university. You're in your first year."

"I cannot afford to. My parents can't afford a private university. And I cannot forfeit my admission and wait another year to write the national exam just to pick a different government university again. I can't afford the money or the stress."

"Hmm. How about if I can help you change?"

Boma's mouth opened with surprise. "Really?"

"Yes. My parents are not billionaires but they make enough, especially my dad. He is Donovan's dad's older brother. That's how we are related. I can get you into a private university by sacrificing part of my allowances and we can just manage."

"Thanks but why would you want to risk helping me? You barely know me."

"I know. But I just feel bad for you. I can't fold my hands and do nothing to help you."

"I can't accept. I appreciate but I don't want to be an inconvenience."

"Think about it. Private universities are taking admissions now. The admission window closes in four weeks. Let me know what you decide but if you decide too late, I'm afraid there is nothing I can do anymore."

"I will think about it. Thank you." She hugged him, feeling grateful for his thoughtfulness and generosity.

"Great." He commended "I will leave now."

Her phone started ringing again with a call from Phillip, so she hurriedly took it.

"Hello."

"I'm outside."

"Okay. I'm coming out now."

"Who was that?" Fidelis asked.

"One of Donovan's guys. He's taking me to meet him for lunch." As she spoke, she was already backing away from him due to a heightened sense of urgency and fear.

"I'll leave as soon as you're gone. Think about what I've said."

"Okay. Thanks again." She said, turning and hastening outside.

She met Phillip parked outside and he opened the door for her. She slid in beside him.

"You took a huge risk coming here without a word." He chided.

"I'm sorry."

"Donovan already called like twice saying we are wasting time. I had to tell him there was a bit of traffic.

"Thank you."

"It's okay. Oh my God."

"What?"

"I am yet to collect my library card. I might as well get it now."

"Okay, but we will waste more time?" She said in an attempt to dissuade him so he would not run into Fidelis by mistake.

"The traffic story can buy us about ten to fifteen minutes. The process is seamless." He was already killing the engine and stepping out as he spoke.

As he headed for the library door, she called Fidelis's number but he didn't receive the call.

"Come on, pick up." She murmured, trying his line again when she saw him walking out of the library with the phone at his ear, at the same time he rolled back the hood, revealing his face.