Chapter 35

A fortnight later

A cacophony of cheers and whistles greeted Harun as he strode out of the gates of the Palace, guards surrounding him as they pushed back the crowd from edging too close. The people of Balqaas, his people, had gathered outside the streets of the Palace to celebrate. After having completed the event of his crowning, Harun was to march from the Palace to the City Square, as per the customs, where he was to meet his people as their new King.

His eyes roamed around the many faces of the young and old, returning their smiles as they advanced forward. However, deep down, Harun could not enjoy the day fully. He had already failed his first task of being King. He was willing to endanger his people because of his pride, but thankfully his brother had prevented it, in turn sacrificing his own safety. It had been almost two weeks since Abbas left for Rughad and despite the countless reports he received from his brother, Harun still felt anxious.

Finally, they had arrived at the City Square. Droplets of moisture from the gushing fountain were carried by the wind to where he stood atop his horse, cooling his nerves. Reaching into his saddle bag, Harun retrieved a bulging sack and dug his hand inside, grabbing a handful of gold coins before tossing it into the air. The crowds cheered louder in excitement, waving the royal emblem in the air whilst children scurried the floor, collecting as many gold coins as they could to fill their pockets. Once his bag had emptied, a few royal guards started clearing a path to make their way back.

"Your Highness," General Musa called, steadying his horse beside him. "Let us make our way back,"

Harun nodded, wrapping the reigns tighter around his knuckles when all of a sudden, he heard a whistling sound amidst the applause.

"Look out!" barked one of their men, but it was too late.

Harun spotted the arrow sailing toward him and braced himself to feel the impact of the hit when the young General dived in front of him. The arrow flew into General Musa's shoulder and he roared out in pain, before tumbling off of his horse. The crowd immediately hushed, before breaking out into panic, screaming people fleeing away from him.

The sudden attack startled Harun's horse and it reared back on its hind legs. To stop himself from tumbling onto the ground, he gripped the reins as tight as he could, the leather burning into his palm.

"Protect the King!" the guards bellowed and immediately they drew closer to him, searching the skies for the source of the arrow.

"We need to leave now!" One of the guards howled, but he shook his head in dismay.

"The General-"

"One of us will bring him back, but we need to get you to safety first!"

As they galloped back to the Palace, not a single arrow targeted him, which aroused his suspicion even more. Had it been an attempt at his life, the attacker would have been persistent until they had achieved their goal.

It was a warning.

As Harun dismounted off his horse, his palms stung him and he glanced at them to find a thick red line across them. His fingers were trembling.

"Habeebi!"

Clasping his hands behind his back, Harun turned to see Thaina running to him, Haifa behind her with the handmaidens.

"It is true?! Someone dared to attack?!" she huffed, gripping his arm whilst her eyes examined him for any injuries.

Harun nodded, still unable to formulate words. His body was still in shock.

Haifa waited a distance away.

"It had to be him," she muttered.

"Sorry?" Meena asked, giving her a curious look.