Akagi Michinari - Try Again

Au: Hanahaki (Timeskip)

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN! Reader, mentions of vomiting and drinking

Word Count: 2.5k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

"Um, excuse me?"

To the left of your desk, leaning into the room by the doorway, was a girl, hand clenched by her chest as she gave you a wary look. You stood up from your desk, pacing the few steps to approach the quivering her.

"Ms Tsubasa, is everything alright?"

Tsubasa shook her head frantically. "Mira is in the bathroom. She's throwing up?"

Your brow hardened. "Is that a question?"

"No? I don't know. I think it might be..." she trailed off, looking at her shoes. "Can you come help?"

You sighed, chest weighing down a little. "Let's go."

Love was fickle. You knew that; most people knew that. People became infatuated with someone and lived their lives thinking everything was perfect. They held hands, went on dates, discussed their futures, and kissed. Then one day, they wake up to the feeling of acid in their mouth and harshness in their throat while they run to the bathroom clutching their churning stomachs, where eventually bile mixed with light-coloured petals falls out from their lips and into the toilet bowl.

Most people knew, but a select few found themselves in the situation where their partner of choice, often unknowingly, had led them on with no actual feelings of love but infatuation. It would leave the lover of the two sick to their stomach. In rarer cases, if the relationship had gone on too long and became too unbalanced, the lover developed hanahaki disease, while the infatuated remained unaffected.

The petals from hanahaki are a phenomenon within themselves. They weren't actual flower petals. That would require the lover to have consumed them. The essential components of what created the structures to take their shape had been speculated to be caused by a particular bodily reaction, while one's suspicions of their partner not loving them became stronger as evidence grew.

Usually, those with good intuition are more likely to develop hanahaki. It starts with an average gut feeling, leading to questioning, where many would leave the relationship before anything harmful occurred. If they didn't go and didn't speak to their partner, the lover's gut feeling would worsen, making them feel sick. Their stomachs would twist and churn until, eventually, they were throwing up petals into the toilet of their bathroom.

It's a painful experience, so much so that many don't even form many romantic relationships or crushes, knowing the repercussions if it goes wrong. But there are a few that throw caution to the wind.

Luckily there are ways to combat it. Option one: lose feelings. This is often the most favoured solution. It solves the problem and requires no outside help, but it can be a long and tedious process that can lead to health problems if not guided. That then leads on to Option two: therapy. Not enough people took it, in your opinion, whether it was for hanahaki or otherwise. Then there is Option three: surgery. This repeatedly came back with reports of people becoming completely apathetic afterwards and then needing to take therapy to regain their sense of emotions if they thought it would be best.