6.5

They say distance makes the heart grow fonder, but I say distance unleashes the hidden worries and anxieties, the fears and the mistrust, a silent battles of what to believe and the truths lost somewhere in the phone lines.

But of course such fear was hidden under cute texts, and goodnight calls. Never would I admit the worries in my mind, the timezones and oceans are a big enough distance, there was no need to create an even greater one.

I click my phone, staring at the blank lock screen as if that would make a text appear. The picture of Luke with his arms wrapped around my waist stares back at me. Sighing, I turn back to my book, forcing myself to study.

"I haven't seen you here in a while," a voice gives me an excuse to procrastinate studying for even longer. I look up, Jonah sliding into the seat next to me, plopping his textbooks down on the library table, and brushing his hair out of his face.

"Hey," I smile, pushing my book to the side, excited to see him. "Yeah, I have some extra time now."

"And by extra time do you mean no boyfriend to run home to?" Jonah raises an eyebrow at me, but laughs, "I'm just kidding, its good to see you Maddie."

I shake my head with a smile, "It's good to see you too, although I'm not used to seeing you without your glasses." My eyes scan his face, his nerdy paleness was replaced with a slight tan from soccer practice, his jaw line more prominent, facial features hardened and almost manly. His tones arms peaked out of his polo, I guess varsity soccer really had its effect on him.

"Yeah, I got contacts," he shrugs, pulling out some homework.

"You look good," I joke, although I wasn't really joking. "Although I think I prefer the glasses."

"Why, am I too good looking for you now?" Jonah smirks, pulling his glasses from out of his bag and sliding them on, waiting for me to give him my approval.

"Don't get to cocky now," I shake my head. "That's better. I like dorky Jonah."

"Dorky Jonah just has some minor upgrades," he jokes, flexing his arms but then laughing at himself. We used to make fun of the self absorbed jocks.

"Yeah, but dorky Jonah knows how to do my calculus homework so..." I give him a cheeky smile, pulling my homework back over and giving him a pleading look.

"Of course I'll help you, just like old times," Jonah smiles over at me, pulling out his notebook. "How have you been?" He glances over at me as I work on the first problem.

"Fine, sort of lonely I guess," I shrug. "How is everything with you? I'm sure the Ivys are already scouting you."

"How are things with your mom?" He watches me, "and I'm pretty good, I'm captain now, so the boys don't pick on me anymore. I've been helping coach the little kids' teams too."

"That is great! You've always been good with little kids," I grin. Jonah blushes, but raises an eyebrow, waiting for me to answer his other question. "I um talked to her for the first time a few weeks ago, she seems better now."

"Things will work themselves out eventually," he nods. "Okay, let's look at the next problem."

-

"Thanks, I never would have been able to do that on my own," I shut my textbook, and get up from the library table. The librarians were getting ready to shut the lights out, we had been sitting here for hours. It was nice to catch up with old friends.

"Anytime," Jonah holds the door open for me as we walk out to our cars.

"I'll return the favor, I promise."