Chapter Forty One

𝐴𝑢𝑟𝑜𝑟𝑎 ♡︎

"Boys, are you ready to go?" I knocked on their door and waited a few seconds for a reply.

"Almost!" Nico shouted.

"Can I come inside?"

"Yeah!" Matteo answered this time.

I turned the knob and pushed open the door.

When I walked inside, I saw the boys sitting at their desks scribbling on some paper.

"Do you have the red marker?" Nico asked without looking up from his piece of paper.

Matteo silently handed his brother the red marker, then returned to drawing on his own paper.

"What are you guys doing?" I inquired as I walked toward them.

Nico put the cap back on the red marker before responding with, "We decided to make some cards for mom."

I smiled. These two were the most genuine and sweet kids I have ever met.

"That's sweet of you boys," I ruffled their hair, earning giggles from them. "Come out to the living room whenever you're done, okay? Enzo and I will be waiting there for you."

They said, "Okay!" In unison just as I turned to leave.

I made my way out of the bedroom and back toward the living room where Enzo was.

We were both dressed and ready for another hospital trip to check on his mother, but this time we decided to give the boys as much time as they needed before hand. Whether that was for a bit of a mental preparation, or something different.

Diego was in police custody at the moment... thank fuck.

Officers had come to question us once more, but no arrests were made since Enzo was defending himself.

I sat down next to Enzo, "Hey, the boys are just making cards for Alex."

He put his phone down onto the table beside him, then grabbed me by the waist and pulled me in between his legs on the couch.

I laughed, snuggling into his chest, and letting out a slow sigh.

He stroked my hair as I closed my eyes and relished the feeling of peacefulness that washed over me.

The moment I was sharing with him was perfect.

Sunshine peeking through the blinds, his soft skin brushing against mine, his fingers playing with the ends of my hair...

Fucking perfect.

"Sweetheart, did you sleep alright last night?" I asked him quietly.

Last night, I heard him walking around the bedroom, getting out of bed, washing his face in the bathroom sink... he was doing everything but sleeping.

I wanted to get up and comfort him, but I was just exhausted because of the earlier events.

He sighed, "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry. I just couldn't get to sleep."

"No, don't apologise. It's okay." I reached up and took one of his hands away from my head. I laced my fingers with his, our conjoined hands now resting on top of my stomach.

"Do you want to talk about it, love?"

"Not really. The memories are just so overwhelming and... I don't know, I just..."

I hushed him gently, "It's okay, baby. We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

He kissed the top of my head, "Thank you, my love."