Hidden History

Stefan's POV

Being on this earth for 163 years, things tend not to surprise me much anymore. I remember clear as day when I found out about the core witches and wizards, the witch in question was named Ruby Black and she was both powerful and extraordinarily beautiful. She had shown me their world, it was both frightening and amazing, the different spells, books, and creatures and they even have their own sport called Quidditch. Ruby and I bonded immensely, though due to her pure-blood tradition and rules, we weren't about to move past a simple friendship. I was extremely invested and curious about the magical world and had read hundreds of books, showing their history, their traditions, their laws, the different families and their history and all the subjects that are taught in and outside of their magical schools.

It was a few years later that she was murdered by none other than, who she called, the light faction. The whole concept of dark, grey and light magic was all rather confusing to me, especially the hatred between the dark and light which had ended up in wars on numerous occasions. The Blacks were known as one of the darkest families in the wizarding world and even though Ruby had simply wanted to live in peace, she carried the name and blood of those that were hated, which led to her demise.

The Pureblood families always had such elegance and beauty. The women in the black family were known to be the most sought out when it came to being courted, and Ruby was in the process of being courted by a pureblood wizard who she had fallen in love with, unfortunately, they would never make it to the aisle.

Years went on and my mourning for her death got a little easier, though the books and jewellery that reside in my bedroom at the boarding house reminded me of her often. She had given them to me throughout our time together and they hold a special place in my heart. I had kept away from the wizarding world and focussed on living my life, which was something she made me promise I would do before she died in my arms. I wasn't sure what came of her bloodline, nor the friends and family that I had met of hers along the way but I try not to focus on that, especially now that my main focus is on Elena.

So far, the relationship is going well and I find myself falling more and more in love with her as the days go on. We've had our rocky moments, especially when it came to her finding out about my vampirism. I understood completely that her instant reaction would be fear and betrayal, but on the days that I'm alone, I find myself contemplating some of her actions and how disapproving I find them. However, when I lay eyes on her once again, those negatives don't seem all that important anymore.

The day was like any other, I had invited Elena to the Grill to have some dinner as we discuss Damon's rash decisions when it came to opening the tomb to get Katherin out. Much to our shock, we had found out that she was never truly inside and had somehow escaped capture, though most of the vampires who resided in Mystic falls all those years ago, had indeed got trapped and imprisoned.

"He's going off the rails, Stefan" Elena whispered with a frown as she glanced over my shoulder, watching Damon drown his sorrows in bourbon.

"I'd rather him drink than kill anyone, you have to understand that he expected her to be inside, waiting for him to rescue her but instead, she was free all along and not once came for him. Of course, he's taking it hard" I reasoned softly, not wanting another one of our Damon conversations to turn into an argument, which has happened multiple times before.

"They aren't right for each other anyway" She shrugged and took a sip of her lemonade, making me frown at her words. Despite the stories that were told about Katherin, there is no denying that she cared about both Damon and me, even if we were compelled to love her.

"Who are they?" She whispered in suspicion and she looked over at one of the booths. As I looked over, I had to double-take because the woman seemed familiar to me and yet, I couldn't quite understand where. They seemed to notice us staring and much to my amusement, the woman wiggled her fingers in our direction with a sarcastic smile. Elena scoffed and turned back around whilst I let out a chuckle.