80's Night (33)

"It's 80's night at the Cascade! I'm ready to get drunk, go bowling, and look hot. Please tell me you're coming, Sam." Kat squeals with excitement while talking to Sam on the phone.

"Of course! Robby and I are going as Andie and Blane from Pretty and Pink."

For a moment, Kat's heart stopped beating. "Oh? Are you going as a couple?" She asked with slight hesitation.

"Oh, no. I don't think we've gotten there yet."

"Right. See you then," click.

Kat shouldn't be bothered. She never told Sam how she felt about Robby. It wasn't like she owned him. Instead of dwelling on stupid couples wearing corresponding costumes, she decided to go rogue for the night. Kat vowed to wear the black, skintight leather one-piece with a leather jacket. She decided against wearing a cheap wig and curled her natural dirty blonde hair into short ringlets. If anything, from afar, Kat looked like Sandy. The only thing missing was her Danny Zuko.

Kat killed the look with her red-stained lips pursed and a fake cigarette between her teeth. As spot on as she looked, Kat remembered the bruise on her neck and how apparent it was. She refused to let a setback ruin her night, so she tied a red scarf around the bruise and hoped for the best.

As Kat strolled into the roller skating club, she looked around at everyone's costumes, hoping she wouldn't see another Sandy.

But, instead of seeing another Sandy at the Cascade, she found Sam and Robby dressed as Blane and Andie. The idea that they dressed as a couple still stung despite knowing the two were coming to the 80's night together.

It wasn't like Kat and Robby were official. Sure, he seemed interested on more than one occasion, and he confessed his love for her...

Oh my god, maybe Robby is playing with us? Kat grimaced as she turned away from the couple and walked toward the front desk.

"One pair of roller skates, please," Kat murmured with a slight frown.

The lady behind the desk inquired about her shoe size before reaffirming the price of renting shoes. "Thanks," Kat replied while swapping her red heels for roller skates.

As Kat turned around to head toward the skating rink, she saw Tory dressed as an 80's goth chick talking with Sam and Robby. Judging by the waitress plate in Tory's hand, she assumed she worked at the joint. How many jobs could a teenager have?

Before Kat could avoid eye contact or flee the scene, she heard the raspy voice of Tory call out her name. "Kat! Cool costume, look who I found." Tory gasped with a sarcastic tone while staring down at Sam.

With a sigh, Kat straightened out her leather jacket and strolled over to where her friends stood, awkwardly peering at each other as if they were misplaced.

Then, Miguel joins the mix. "Hey, Sam..." He exclaimed, then flickering his eyes at Robby, "and you're here too, that's nice."

Tory eyes Kat up and down, "I love your costume. I can't believe I didn't think of that!" She grumbled, admiring each detail of Kat's costume.

Sam rolled her eyes and glared at Tory. "So, how do you two know each other?" She remarked, flickering her gaze between Miguel and Tory.

"Well, Tory is in Cobra Kai."

"Figures," Sam muttered.

Raising her eyebrows, Kat glares back at Sam but decides against saying anything.

"What was that?" Tory hissed. She decides against dwelling on the encounter and leans into passionately kissing Miguel.

"I have to get back to work now," Tory states, then casually trolls away.