Chapter 48

As they both turned to look at me, I balked in horror. Cage pierced me with a glare. Romeo looked at me, a smile on his face, one that was not nice at all. Cage shifted so that I was out of Romeo's view. "November has nothing to do with this." He growled. "You've made her suffer enough! Leave her out of this. This is between you and me-"

"Excuse me!" I snapped at Cage. "You heard him. He didn't come here for you, Cage."

"She is correct." Romeo pointed out.

"I am correct." I parroted back.

Cage looked back and forth between us, bewildered. "Whose side are you on, November?"

"Oh, I don't know." Anger had a way of giving me a sarcastic tongue. "Maybe I'm on the side of the man who killed my parents. You know, the one who came here to kill me tonight...you stupid piece of stale bread! I'm on your side, Cage! What kind of question is that even?"

"Do not call me a stupid piece of stale bread, November." Cage growled.

"Oh, excuse me." I cleared my throat. "You're not even good enough to be a stupid piece of bread. You know what you are, Cage? You're a stupid piece of stale wheat bread!"

"How the fuck did bread get involved in this?" Romeo snapped.

"I don't know." I said. "But I want some now. Maybe some of those breadsticks from Olive Garden-"

"We make homemade ones." Romeo sniffed.

I stared at him. "You know, I never understood the flour to egg ratio-"

"Enough!" Cage barked. "November, shut up."

"Don't tell me to shut up." I snapped.

"Never tell a woman to shut up." Romeo added unnecessarily.

Cage all but rolled his eyes.

Romeo went back to his cold, detached evil villain persona. "We have had our differences in the past, Cage." He said, delicately stepping over the pilot's dead body. They killed as if people had no value. as if they weren't people. Cage did it too. With his upbringing, it shouldn't come as a surprise. But it still made me cringe. Gunfire was terrifying and so were they.

Cage stood back, his stature tall and unintimidated. I saw the gun clasped behind his back, out of sight from Romeo's view. As Romeo paced slowly around the rooftop, I began working on loosening the handcuffs. I got out of one set. I could get out of another.

Cage's attention was on Romeo. He watched him carefully, dark green eyes inspecting and meticulously articulating every movement for a signal of when things might go sideways. It was fascinating to watch, truly. They were both criminal kings. One just had more power at the moment. But if I learned one thing from being around the Crows, it was that power can shift in the blink of an eye. Cage knew that. He survived for this long because of that knowledge.

The water pipe I was connected to had a ring that was kind of loose. As Romeo and Cage exchanged heated words, I tugged harder on the cuffs. If I could just twist the ring of the pipe around, I could slip the cuff out of the small space it provided.

Romeo fixed Cage with an expressionless look. "But now, the vendetta has shifted, has it not? We have our share of problems, Mr. Vickers. For the time being, what your little darling and I have to discuss does not include you. Protecting a teenage girl, Cage? Really? I thought you did not care for others. After all, you must not if you turned to my daughter."

I stopped messing with the handcuffs for a second, distracted by the mention of Vivian Barsille. If Romeo knew about that, did that mean when Cage went to Italy, he met up with Romeo as well? After all, they knew each other a lot longer than I knew either of them. I was still trying to get a sense of what Cage was capable of, and that line didn't seem to be stopping anywhere soon.