Chapter 23

JENNIE

When I return to the table, new food has appeared, and the old plates have been cleared. Taehyung is finishing his glass of wine.

I sit. We eat in silence only interrupted by the reappearance of the waiter to clear plates and bring new dishes. I drink two glasses of wine in quick succession, not bothering to try to figure out what it means that I didn't run away.

I don't need to wonder. I already know.

This is an absolute disaster in the making.

When all the dinner plates have been cleared and we're sipping cappuccinos, Taehyung says, "You left your handbag in the car last night. I asked Namjoon Hyung to bring it into the library."

The handbag with my phone in it, he means. The phone I'm not going to use to make an emergency call to the police, or anyone else, to come and rescue me.

"Why are you shaking your head?"

"Because I keep surprising myself."

"Now you know how I feel."

I lift my gaze from the creamy foam of the cappuccino cup in my hand and look at him. "You always seem to know exactly what I'm going to do."

His enigmatic smile makes a reappearance. "Do I?"

When I don't return the smile, it fades. Looking frustrated, he leans closer. "Tell me what you're thinking."

"I can't believe you don't know."

"I'd like to hear you say it."

"So you do know what I'm thinking."

"You look disturbed by that."

"Can you blame me?"

"If it makes you feel any better, I'd never use it against you."

I set down the cup and rub my forehead, sighing.

"Am I giving you a headache?"

"No. I'm just...this is very..."

His voice turns husky. "It's not complicated at all, Jen."

I say drily, "It would be helpful if you'd stop reading my mind."

"I can't help it. You're an open book."

"Could you at least pretend?"

"I told you I'd never lie to you just to make you feel better."

"Wait—I thought you said I was unpredictable?"

"No, I said I kept underestimating you."

I think for a minute. "I'm not sure I get the difference."

Eyes burning, he growls, "Have I told you how beautiful you are when you come?"

I laugh. "Whoa! Give me a minute to recover. Where's a neck brace when you need one?"

"Because you are. My dick gets hard if I think about it."

Exasperated, I stare at him. "You said you wouldn't pressure me."

He considers me with heated eyes, then apparently decides he's pushed me too far, because he sits back in his chair and casually crosses one leg over the other. "Fair enough. Would you like anything else to eat?"

My god, this man could test the patience of Mother Teresa. "No," I say coolly. "Thank you for dinner. It was lovely."

"You're welcome."

I get the sense he's trying hard not to show any of the amusement he feels. That only makes me angrier. "Taehyung?"

"Aye, lass?"

"You're bad for my blood pressure."

His dark eyes dance with mirth. He stands, drops his napkin on the tabletop, and holds out a hand to me. "Come on. You can throw more shoes at me when we get home."

I look at his hand, tempted to snap at his fingers like a turtle.

But in the end, I take his hand and let him lead me out to the car and take me back to his skyscraper.

There's nowhere else I'd rather be, anyway.