(Season 2) Chapter 2 The Bottom of the Oasis

No one's POV

After rescuing a nobleman name Bize and accepting his quest, Sora and the others were currently on their way to Ankaji. Sora had been planning on visiting the Grand Gruen Volcano anyway. Plus, he'd been planning on leaving Myu behind at Ankaji while he did so. Strong as he was, he didn't want to bring a four-year-old girl somewhere that dangerous. He could easily pick up the stillstone Bize needed during his quest to reach its center, and since Myu was from a beastman tribe, she was safe from the epidemic that was ravaging Ankaji. She didn't have any mana after all. Either way, all of Bize's problems were something Sora could solve without going out of his way.

Bize: Sora-dono, Hajime-dono, as you two are a gold-ranked adventurer, I have no doubt you could easily procure the stillstone that I need. However, we also need to solve my city's water problem. Can anyone operate this Artifact, or only you, Hajime-dono?

Hajime: Well, everyone here except Kaori and Myu can drive it, but... There's no need to go to the capital. We'll do something about your water problem, so let's head back to Ankaji for now.

Bize: What exactly do you mean by 'do something about it'?

Bize had no doubt of Sora and Hajime's prowess, but he doubted even a gold-ranked adventurer could procure enough water to sustain hundreds of thousands out of nowhere. His doubt was to be expected. However, there was one way to procure water that Bize hadn't thought of. Using strong water magic to collect the moisture in the atmosphere.

Of course, most mages wouldn't be able to draw nearly enough water for that many people, but Sora and Hajime had a genius magician within their party.

Sora, Aishia, and Yue.

And because Sora and Aishia almost had a limitless supply of mana and Yue had multiple ways of restoring her mana quickly, they wouldn't even tire doing it. At the very least, either one of them would be able to provide the town with water long enough for Bize or his father to appeal to the kingdom for aid.

When Hajime told Bize as much, he was skeptical. However, it was also true that he was in no condition to make it to the capital. So with a little persuasion from Kaori, one of Ehit's trusted warriors, he finally gave in and agreed to return to Ankaji.

Bize was shocked to see how much ground Hajime could cover with Brise. However, at that point, it was just one surprise among an endless parade of them. He had no idea why a warrior of Ehit was traveling with these adventurers, why they had a Seaman girl with them, why she called Sora Papa, why a rabbitman was traveling with them, or why the black- haired woman seemed so happy to be insulted. What he did know, though, was that there was still hope left. And that very hope was what allowed him to hold his head high as they continued their journey...

After a short drive, the walls of Ankaji shimmered into view. They were truly a sight to behold, towering higher than even Fuhren's impressive ramparts. The walls and buildings were all built from the same milky-white material, a stark contrast to the brown that surrounded them.

One other thing of note was the pillars of light that jutted from the walls at regular intervals. The pillars of light curved into each other and converged high in the sky, creating a dome that covered the city. Whenever anything hit the dome, ripples spread from the point of impact, as if someone had thrown a stone into a pond. It made for a wondrous sight.

From what Sora could tell, the dome seemed to protect the city from the elements. The desert experienced fierce sandstorms every few months, so the dome was a necessity for the people living there. It turned raging storms into merely a cloudy day for the city's residents.

 It turned raging storms into merely a cloudy day for the city's residents