36 || Perfect Boyfriend

Chapter 36: Perfect Boyfriend

"Maddie!" Ashton called, making his way to me as I stormed out the studio room.

I trudged through the hallway, ignoring as Ashton made his way to me.

"Can you wait for a second," Ashton called, causing me to turn to him.

"This was a mistake," I said. "I shouldn't have come."

For someone who had all the answers, Ashton was silent, just staring.

"I'm sick and tired of having to stomach everything your dad said. I shouldn't even be wearing these goddamn heels, they're killing me." I knew none of this was Ashton's fault, I knew he had no control over what his dad did but I needed someone to vent on.

"Why didn't you say anything?" He asked, his voice low and full of emotions. "Why didn't you say you were rooting for me?"

In that moment, I was frozen. I stared blankly at my boyfriend, the realization dawning on me. I'd hurt .

"You're right," he finally replied, his eyes focusing on me. "You shouldn't be here… after all, you're not the one we had the whole world watching him, you don't have to be perfect, do you?"

Stunned, my lips pressed against eachother as I stared, a new emotion hitting me. Anger.

"Excuse me? You're angry cause I couldn't support you over my own friend? Ashton, your dad has been a thorn on my side all this while and I've been quiet."

"I've tried, Maddie," he shot, his pitch louder this time. "You know I've done everything to make this relationship work, I've tried to be the perfect boyfriend and even that wasn't enough…"

"And I haven't?" I scoffed. "Ashton, I almost lost my scholarship…"

We both remained silent, our eyes unable to meet as the door to the studio opened, Tammy popping out.

"I hope I'm not interrupting but Ashton, we'd need you inside," Tammy chimed.

Ashton nodded, his eyes focused on me. "You should leave."

He turned and he his eyes back into the studio room.

A part of me felt hurt, a throbbing pain in my chest as I watched Ashton walk away. A part felt enraged, felt a built up tension I just wanted to let all out.

But instead, I turned, making my way for the exit.

•••

I'd gone straight back to the beach house, cutting my stay short and getting my things before taking a taxi back to school.

Even before I'd gotten to my apartment, I'd already gotten numerous texts from Angie, Jessica and even Paul.

It all felt like too much at the moment, I didn't even know what to feel so I didn't reply. I sat in the taxi, steadying my breathing.

I couldn't think right now, the whole night had turned out unexpectedly. Ashton and I had just had our first major arguement, a part of me wondered what that meant now.

We're we on a break?

I grabbed my luggage, making my way to my apartment. I could feel the eyes on me, students whispering to one another but I ignored them. I was done caring.

Opening the door, I immediately got attacked by Angie and Jessica, both excited and worried.

"Girl, you're everywhere right now," Angie explained.

"I am?" I asked with so little charisma.

"What do you mean I am? You dragged a UFC champion on national television, of course you are. Everyone's talking." Jess laughed.