014, 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝

DEAR, EX

BECAUSE I LIKED A BOY sabrina carpenter

"you got into a fight at school." scarlett's mom scolds. "a fight! with maia!"

"mom—" scarlett sighs.

"i mean, i assumed you two drifted, but a fight?" she asks, leaning against the counter with her arms folded over her chest. she sighs. scarlett told her they were all friends still, she lied. "how long has it been?"

"seven months," scarlett looks down. "i haven't been friends with any of them since chris' and i's breakup, everyone besides liam."

she pauses. presses her lips together, and they only part to give her access for sighing. scarlett's always hated it when her mother sighs. because it always means she's disappointed. "why didn't you tell me?"

"you would've been upset," scarlett simply says. "you're best friends with mrs. braxton and love that i'm friends with maia—"

"who broke it off with who?" she asks.

scarlett presses her lips together. a constant trait she gained from her mom. "she broke it off with me."

"why?"

scarlett looks down.

"maia?" scarlett, who was welcomed in by mrs. braxton, walks into her friend's room. a towel was draped over her cold and soaked body, gifted to her when she knocked on the door. her eyes stung from the crying and her throat was tight as she shivers.

"scar?" maia worriedly asks as she stands up from her bed and approaches her friend. "what happened?" maia leads her inside of the room, not caring about how wet anything gets.

"uh." scarlett sighs. sitting down on maia's chair. "chris and i— we broke up."

maia stops. she never thought this day would come. chris and scar were highschool sweethearts, bound to staying together, destined to get married. "broke up? why?"

scarlett begins stammering. tears prick at her eyes again, one of them already falling. "he, nick, and matt want to start a youtube channel. he thinks it was best if we broke up and we fought over it."

"well.." maia sits down next to her friend. "that's his choice, scar."

"well, yeah, but—"

"there is no 'but's."

"i would've stuck with him—"

"you would have complained."

"no, maia, you don't understand—"

"i know you."

"don't say that—"

"don't interrupt me."

"but you're interrupting me." scarlett exhales.

"chris had every right." maia says.

scarlett looks into maia's eyes. sees a sort of defense. a defense for chris. she shakes her head. snaps out of it. "i'm not saying he did it."

"it sure sounds like it." maia furrows her eyebrows, raising her tone. "you've always been a low-life. i expected this." she lies.

"what...?" scarlett mutters. why is maia being so rude.

"just get out." maia sighs.

"maia—"

"i don't want to see you anymore."

and just like that, scarlett was back on a front porch, towel snatched away, life snatched away. everything she's ever known is gone. the love of her life, her best friends.

the rain pours onto her head, but it doesn't feel like what it should. every single drop is cutting into her skin, dumping her body in pain. she squeezes her eyes shut and falls to the ground. pulling her knees to her chest. wrapping her weak and helpless arms around her knees.

maia never wants to see her again.

chris dropped her like she was nothing.

nick and matt will never talk to her again.

she has nothing. liam will probably leave, her mom's not home. her life is shattering, falling apart.

all because of this stupid, stupid boy.

scarlett's mom sighs.

"i'm gonna go to my room." scarlett nods since her mom says nothing. and as she turns around, not a single word is exchanged. she goes go her room,
grabs the box letters from under her bed, and simply throws them.

she's suspended from school for a week.

and she's grounded for that entire week. all she has is her books.

and a blank sheet of paper and a pencil.

dear, ex

     hi chris, i'm currently grounded. i mean probably as expected. so i don't have my phone. i just wanted to talk, that's it. i don't know how to, but i want to find a way.

     i'm sorry. i'll explain.

love, ex

that's all she writes before folding the letter and shoving it into an envelope. she writes his address and name on it, having memorized it from the last time she was grounded.

she tells her mom she's going out for a walk before shoving it into the mailbox and tilting up the flap, and then she goes inside and hopes and hopes and hopes for some sort of reply.

a/n

omg yay maia and scar fight flashback

sorry this chapter is so short yet also took so long i had such a writers block 😭😭