09: A gun

Heather was sitting in front of a marble table with a piece of table clothe on her lap. She had both her hand on the fabric and rubbed it repeatedly until it got crumpled and disorganized.

She took a deep breath and looked up until her head touched the soft crocodile leather of the chair. It's been half an hour, we'd be late to school. Did he get out of the back door and left? Given Zed's attitude, this was not impossible.

Heather was still immersed in her thoughts when big footsteps echoed from the stair case.

Heather sat straight and cleared her throat. She had herself earlier practice words she should say to the prince, building up her confidence while mumbling her own kind terms.

However, her nervousness started to creep on her as she heard the heavy steps got closer and closer. Firm and bulky, yet sophisticated and confident at the same time, it intimidated her; everyone else was. The maids who helped Heather fix the table earlier rushed outside the kitchen in a rush. They don't like Zed, or more accurate to say: they feared him.

A heavy sigh came out of Heather's lips. Her chest raised: chin faintly going up, hands gently laid on her lap; proud and sophisticated, just like how she was taught to be in Spain.

The prince did appear and walked past her. He pulled a chair on the farthest seat available from Heather and called a maid to move his plate (which was across Heather.)

"It's unappetizing to have breakfast with that face in front of me."

Heather froze. When she recovered, the maid had already moved a plate to Zed's place.

The maid asked Zed if he needed anything else. 

Zed answered with, "A gun."

The maid circled around the table and gave Heather a tap on the shoulder, as if her own way of 'Good luck', before she left.

A gun?! Heather thought.

Everything went silent for a while, and the only sound that broke that faint silence was the sound of a silver spoon scooping up the bottom of Zed's marble plate.

"It's unappetizing to have breakfast with your face in front of me."

Heather took a deep breath before she gulped a bite of bollos and downed a sip of her water. She summoned her courage as if Zed didn't passively threaten her life.

She smiled, "Dad and Mom are on their way back," Heather stated with a sweet voice, loud enough to reach Zed at the other end of the table.

Zed did not answer and continued munching on his bollos. Once he was done with one bollos, he pushed his chair and strode away, leaving Heather with that sharp feeling in her throat.

Heather's shoulders collapsed. It was not a sigh of disappointment nor displeasure, but a sigh of relief. She felt grateful that only a cold response shot her.

Truth be told, "Don't get on his nerves," was Jaspher Lorde's words to Heather before she came here. But the accurate advice should be: "If you piss him off, you're done. If you're a Lorde, you're dead. Either way you're not safe."

Truly, if Zed wasn't Henry's son, he might have been dead from what he did to other Lorde's when they visit this mansion.

Most of the Lorde's, regardless of their age, had experienced the wrath of Zed Nuevas and had told Henry to exile his devil incarnate son. But Henry never did, as obviously Zed was his only heir.

The maids who witnessed how cruel Zed was to his relatives told Heather to ignore the young master too or live her life somewhere else away from Zed. Lock herself up in her room when Zed was around which was rare since Zed was always out the house. Heather could consider their advises, but for some reason Zed wasn't hurting her. Hence, she didn't that much.

In the past, a girl, who was in a vacation with her family, opened the fridge in the middle of the night, shouted and fainted after she saw a decapitated head of her father's head in a jar. 

Turns out, it was Zed who asked a professional props men to make a fake head similar to a Lorde and put it there to scare the daughter. Since then, the girl got scared of refrigerators that her family had to remove all kind of fridge in their mansion or she'd go maniac.

By the records, the girl did not do anything to Zed but ignore him, and obviously Zed wasn't the one who bullies people out of boredom, however, she was a Lorde. And that was  enough to make you a target for Zed.

However, there was an exception to everything, and that was Heather. She  was a Lorde, and she was obviously making Zed angry, but surprisingly, Zed did nothing more than insulting her.

And if observed closely, he won't insult Heather if Heather don't come close to him first. Heather wondered why she became an exception from all of those people Zed hurt.

Of course, henry didn't let Zed's behavior slip off. Heather heard from the maids, that when Zed was still young, Henry would whip the prince on the veranda tremendously that the sound of whiplash could be heard to the kitchen and  rooftop. But regardless of how harsh Henry would be to Zed, Zed would still pester the life of the next Lorde he would get into contact with. The maids saw how Zed endured everything too whenever they brought water to Henry after whipping Zed. "It scares me actually; it's not pain that I saw in his eyes but anger and contempt. What made me feel worried is that sometimes I will see him smile while getting whipped by Henry." 

Time goes by and Henry couldn't punish Zed anymore. Zed's height and stature grew astronomically in puberty, the prince could go off and fight back if he wanted to. Truly, if a 7-year-old Zed is capable of causing trauma to others imagine an 18-year old version of him with a height of 190 cm and a muscle mass of 90%. There's no telling what this guy could do now!

Nevertheless, only one person before Heather came here  suffered lastly. And he was the reason why Heather was still trying to reach out to the devil. Jaspher Lorde. Heather heard Jaspher was fed expired milk in his first day and spent the remaining weeks after that sitting on the toilet, having diarrhea. However, Heather could sometimes overhear Zed from his room when his door was ajar talking to someone on the phone, his voice was still cold as ever.

"Buy me an X-box if you want to come see me and my friends again, old man." But once the call was over, Zed would punch the punching bag while smiling. Heather would distance herself from Zed when he was smiling, because that smile would disappear and turn into a stare of disgust once Zed saw her.

Back to the present, Heather sprang out and hastened to the same direction as Zed. Once she caught up, she followed the prince to the parking lot, trailing behind him.