019. emotional celebration

on the bag, it had big black lettering that read,

'to: denzel
from: :)'

who could it be?

does he know them?

he has to know, the curiosity is eating him from the inside, out.

opening the bag, it revealed three envelopes with brown and green wax seals and a stuffed animal that looked like his cat, saturn.

could it be clementine? he gave her something similar.

he decided that he should open the envelopes and look through the contents of the bag at the diner, he spends a lot of time there either way.

on his walk there, he was listening to music as he enjoyed the morning sun. a few thoughts did fill his head, but they weren't bad ones, they were just random shower thoughts people would have sometimes.

something about denzel was; he liked walking, he feels that it helps the environment in a way, and he likes moving his body sometimes so walking definitely benefits him and other things.

"there's so many people." he mumbled to himself, looking through the window of the diner before entering.

luckily, his go-to booth was open, which caused him to let out a relieved sigh.

as he sat down, he placed the bag onto the table before placing his satchel onto the space next to him.

"happy birthday, denzel!" one of the waiters greeted, taking out their tiny notepad.

he slightly smiled, "thank you, joyce."

"your lunch is on the house today, you only turn eighteen once." they giggled, "what can i get you?"

"can i just have starfish pancakes and eggs with bacon?"

"that's it? do you at least want a drink and a side?" they asked, writing the order down.

"um—maybe some milk and can i have mac and cheese as the side?"

"that sounds more like it, i'll bring those out for you." they smiled before turning to leave.

denzel finally had the chance to open the bag. now that he thought about it, was this a gift for his birthday?

the thought didn't matter at that moment, what mattered at that moment was what was in those envelopes.

something he noticed was that the envelopes were numbered, so obviously he'll want to open them in order.

opening the first envelope, it held a beaded bracelet that looked homemade. the beads were yellow and white with the letter c on one of the white beads. along with the bracelet came a small notecard that read,

'guess who.'

from the letter on the bracelet, it seemed to be clementine.

the second envelope was way bigger, it felt a big bulky which caused his curiosity to spike.

opening the second envelope, he pulled out a sketchbook that looked pretty new, he also pulled out two packages with colored pencils and colored pens. turning to the first page of the sketchbook, he found a small note written on it,

'your current one was running out of pages :).'

denzel smiled, he appreciated every item that was in this bag. he might've been close to crying at that point.

opening the final envelope, he pulled out a handwritten letter.

the handwriting was gorgeous, although, it looked incredibly familiar. maybe he's seen it before.

'dear denzel,

happy birthday! it's been awhile since we've talked. i just wanted to say hello and ask how you've been, i also thought it would be nice to give you a gift, it's not every day that you turn eighteen, you know? i miss you, i'm sorry about the whole scene i made the last time we saw each other.

would you like to come over again? watch a film? snacks are on me.

sincerely,
clem'

clementine? writing to denzel?

after the whole scene he made at the beach, he thought she would never want to talk to him again.

maybe he can try again with her. now that he knows that she isn't interested in him romantically, maybe he could try their friendship one more time.

he treasured clementine. she was the person who helped him crawl out of his shell. he missed her.

denzel packed up all of the gifts into one designated bag, waiting for his meal.

AUTHOR SPEAKS !
short chapter today!!