Ch 606: Hope Or Hate

Lin Ye hummed when hearing her request. It did not really surprise him that Yelena asked this from him. She had families and from where she came from, Yelena's family should have a lot of Infected in it.

Some might even be dying at this very moment now.

On paper, her request was fair.

Yelena would take a big risk by following him to Rhodes Island while Lin Ye would give her something that would reward her for doing it. Something that could justify her going to the enemy's area where she would be helpless.

Lin Ye had to stop himself from agreeing with her on the spot. He knew that there was more to it than he liked to think.

It was not that simple.

Nothing in his life was simple.

After thinking about her offer more thoroughly, Lin Ye finally knew what his answer was. He raised his head and showed a troubled smile at Yelena.

He shook his head.

"Sorry Yelena," An apology slipped through his lips, "I have to reject that."

Her expression did not change when he said this. With a blank expression on her face, she asked him, "Do you not trust me?"

"I did not say that," Lin Ye shook his head.

"But you thought about it," Yelena fired back, "You and I both know the relationship between our group. Between Rhodes Island and Reunion."

Lin Ye stayed quiet as he listened to her.

"I am taking a big risk by following you back to them. I will be tested there and I can only let you do things to my body," Yelena's eyes narrowed, "If I am going to do that, at the very least I am rewarded for it. I want to save people that I care about."

"You must understand."

"I do Yelena. I do," He grimaced, "but as I understand you, you must understand me. I really can't promise you that."

"... Why?" She whispered.

"The cure... I can't let too many people know about it," Lin Ye explained, "If too many people know about it, the company that I am in, Rhodes island will be targeted by everyone. And I mean everyone."

Lin Ye cut her off when she was about to rebut him, "Mercenaries, group, royalty, countries and even Infected. Their motive might be different but it won't change the fact they would attack Rhodes Island at the very moment that they heard about the cure."

His face tightened into a frown, "This world... The people on it are becoming desperate. And when people are pushed to their limit, they would do things that they wouldn't normally do just to achieve something as basic as a plate of food."

"I need to be responsible for what I choose. Rhodes Island needs to be around for the cure," Lin Ye showed her a troubled smile as he stared at her, "You must understand right, Yelena?"

Yelena could see how much this meant to him. He was asking too much from her and Lin Ye knew it.

"... I do," Yelena said, "But why can't you trust me. I can keep that secret."

"I trust you, Yelena. I really do," He sighed tiredly, "I just can't bring myself to trust Reunion."

Yelena did not have anything to say after that. Both of them stared at each other. Both had thousands of thoughts in their mind.

After a while, she started the conversation again.

"So? What are we going to do?" Yelena asked him, "I have nothing to bargain with you now."