Are We Flirting?

Amanda and Leah followed me into my house, Amanda complimenting the modern home. I showed them the spare rooms, allowing them to pick which one they took. I headed downstairs, taking a seat in front of the TV, and began to flick through the choices of Christmas movies on the live channels. Settling for Home Alone 2, I pulled the throw around me and rested my head back.

After a few minutes, Amanda appeared wearing the Christmas pyjamas I had given her earlier, smiling as I laughed at the terrible design printed all over them. Leah appeared a few seconds after her, smiling shyly as I watched her walk in. Stop staring, Sophie.

"Would you two like a drink?" I asked.
"If it's not too much trouble." Amanda smiled.
"Leah?"
"Yes please." She smiled.

I headed to the kitchen and poured three glasses of wine, bringing them back in to hand them over. The two were laughing at a scene in the movie, prompting me to laugh as I turned to watch the screen and headed to my seat.

"Do you live here alone?" Amanda asked.
"Yeah. Not originally but now, yes."
"It's a really lovely place." Leah said.
"I like it; it's quiet. I'll probably downsize soon though." I said, speaking my internal thoughts.
"How come?" Amanda asked, most likely wondering why I would've moved here in the first place if it was too big.
"I moved here with my ex at first, but when she left, it kind of felt too big. Still does." I answered honestly.
"Sorry." Amanda said, worried she had hit a nerve.
"Ages ago now, and for the best." I said, reassuring her that it wasn't a forbidden topic.

After her glass of wine, Amanda announced she was going to bed, asking about the plan for the following day.

"What time do you usually head to your dad's?"
"I'm going there first thing, around 7 a.m., so I can watch Olivia open her presents, but I can come back for you both later on if you want to sleep on."
"That's a lot of driving for you. She's very cute; we could always come? Or maybe it's a family thing." She said, drifting off as she spoke the final few words.
"Of course not, I just didn't want to wake you up too early."
"I look forward to it." Amanda smiled as she kissed Leah goodnight.

Until Amanda could no longer be seen in the room, I hadn't noticed what this meant. I was now alone with Leah, both of us as awkward as each other. I moved my eyes to the TV, not wanting to seem completely weird.

"Another glass?" I said, eyes fixated on the TV.
"Why not. It is Christmas after all."
"I like your thinking."

When I returned with the drinks, Leah had laid back on the sofa, seemingly more comfortable now that it was just the two of us—less pressure, I assume.

"Imagine boarding a plane and not realising until you're in the sky that you've forgotten your child." Leah chuckled.
"I know, we believed this stuff as kids."
"Have you ever been to New York?"
"Just once, with work. Always wanted to go on New Year's Eve, though, you?"
"Never. Always wanted to go. New Year there would be cool." Leah smiled.

We sat in a comfortable silence for a while longer, the only noise being the rustling of our individual blankets or our bursts of laughter at the movie.

"Question?" Leah's voice startled me.
"Go for it."
"Do you always buy perfectly good flowers to throw them in your bin?" She laughed.
"Oh god, you saw those." I put my palm to my face.
"I was putting my chewing gum in the bin." She laughed.
"Ex sent them, signed the card, love always. Made my skin crawl slightly."
"Did she cheat?"
"No, not that I know of. One day I said goodbye to her to go to work, came home, and the house was empty." I rolled my eyes.
"You're joking? She moved out?" Leah's eyes widened as she sat up in her seat.
"Moved out? More like moved to New Zealand."
"Wow. She really wanted to be away from you." She chuckled again.
"Wow, there was me thinking you were awkward."
"I am, well, I was. I feel better now."
"I have that effect." I smirked.
"I might move to New Zealand tomorrow; who knows?" Leah laughed hysterically at her own joke.

Are we flirting? Or do I just think we are because she's no longer quiet?

Leah and I had another glass of wine before we called it a night. As I locked the front door, Leah waited at the bottom of the stairs for me. I walked towards her, whispering that it was freezing. As we reached the top of the stairs, we stood for a few seconds smiling at each other before we broke the awkward silence and said goodnight.

I lay in bed that night thinking of nothing but the fact I had faint butterflies over a girl I had known for two days, who was currently lay in the room next to me and was coming to my family's Christmas tomorrow.

I began to search through Instagram for her account, finding it immediately due to her verified profile. There were hundreds of photos, some from her football days, some from nights out, and some from photo shoots. I noticed that she was extremely confident in every photo she posted—a complete difference from the Leah that I had met.

I finally decided to stop being weird and go to sleep; 5:30am would come around quickly. I made myself comfortable, putting my spare pillow sideways to cuddle into it as I had done since Hannah had left.