one

"Thank you," I said kindly to the woman who had given me a tip for helping her choose something to bring for her son's birthday

She leaves with a smile and pushes the fallen curl from my bun behind my ear and assists the next customer who asks for a box of chocolate chip cookies.

I turn around and find my mother already reading the customer's lips and preparing the white box with her logo in the middle. I bring out the twelve freshly baked cookies and help her pack them before giving them to the customer.

My mother suffers from severe hearing loss, mine wasn't severe but I did have to use my hearing aid to help me.

I use sign language to communicate with my mother, it was the first thing I was taught after I learned how to talk and read.

Mother's beauty never failed to surprise me, she looked young for her age and I could only hope that I would age as gracefully as she is.

Her curly hair was out in an afro, covering her brown glasses from the side that looked like my own but mine were black. I inherited the small beauty marks that scatter along our cheeks from her along with the brown eyes and nose people would say complimented our soft features.

I go around the counter to the tables and collect the stack of dishes that the customers kindly stack instead of leaving all over the place, making the job of cleaning them up easier.

That's when I hear the door ring, signaling that someone has entered, I finish up in the back and wipe my hands before going to assist them.

I stop my sudden rush when I realize it's just Flora.

My mother goes and places a cheesecake on the small plate and places it in front of her with a kiss on her cheek. My mother and Flora's were close friends and mother loves Flora as if she was her daughter.

Flora and I have known each other since we could talk, she was my childhood friend.

She is stunning, her black hair was always in long and braided twists, and her eyes were dark brown that could pass for black but it only added to her sharp features. Her cheekbones were prominent, her lips had a natural red tint to them.

Flora loves food more than she loves herself, she made sure to find someone who could cook for her and knew all her favorite foods. It was perfect that her girlfriend was a chef.

"This is the only reason why I wake up in the morning," She says, using the fork to take a bite of her cheesecake before closing her eyes.

"Something fun happen last night?" I gesture to the red mark on her neck that she doesn't try to hide at all.

"I gave Daniella an early birthday present" She shrugs her shoulders, a smile coating her face at the memory of whatever they did together.

"It looks like she gave you one too" I join her, going back to the counter and preparing the next order that was called in.