one

LEE

LEE

i was seventeen when i got a call about my big brother and best friend. seventeen at my basketball game. seventeen, crying on the court.

i got a call about them,
telling me they got shot at the deli.

got shot two days after notti osama died.
my son, my heart.

now here i am, at they funeral. my best friend ari, my big brother chris, and my heart notti.

"lee has a speech for chris. just like how david had a speech for ethan, and ari's mother had one for her. lee, come up please." my mom spoke into the speakers.

i felt a weight on my shoulders and look at jay who was next to me. jay looks back at me, "it's okay." melz whispers to me. rubbing my back.

i stand up slowly, fixing my gold chain. i was wearing a long sleeve white shirt with dark blue jeans. a gold chain, my diamond watch, and my small gold hoop earrings.

i walk up to the mic, and take out a piece of paper. i unwrap it and look towards my mom. she smiles at me and wipes her tears.

i look back down at the paper, "hi everybody. my name is aaliyah but everyone calls me lee. i am the little sister of chris marie pierre. chris was the most loving, understanding, and caring brother i could ever ask for."

"even tho he's a boy, you'd be surprised on how much he gets girl problems." i said. i feel tear build up in my eyes, and a bad feeling in my stomach.

"the day.. the day that i got the call about you in hospital. i was at my basketball game. it was 8:39 pm, and we were going against bears. when i heard the beeping and the doctor's soft respectful voices. i knew instantly,"

"the last thing you said to me was "good luck on your game. fuck bears." i always think to myself, maybe if i convinced you enough to come to the game. maybe if i checked up on you while i was on bench. maybe if i just didn't go. i know i shouldn't blame myself for anything, but i can't help it."

i feel tears streaming down my face and hear my mom sobbing hard, "i remember a couple days before you passed. you told me that if you ever died. don't have a sad funeral. more of a celebration of your life. i disagreed. only because i didn't want our family to get too drunk and start tripping."

"every time i close my eyes, i see you. i see our memories. i hear you. i smell you. you said as long as i live, you'd be with me forever. i miss you, chris. i miss you until i close my eyes."

i breakdown crying. i hide my face in my hands, "i'm sorry." i whisper. i feel a hand on my back and a head on my shoulder, "it's okay, lee." i hear somebody whisper. i look up at see jay, "it's okay." he whispers again.