Chapter Twenty

Henley

Henley

"Alright, you're all set, Henley," my college advisor said. "Does it feel good to change from undeclared to a business student?"

I rubbed the back of my neck, trying not to smile. Honestly, it did. It'd been stressful not knowing what I wanted to do. And now that I had a plan, I felt a little more motivated and wanted to see how far I could take it.

Not to mention eventually, it could help Bennett out. It was like two birds with one stone. I didn't feel so lost, and Bennett could rely on me at some point. And this way, I could eventually feel more even in our relationship with him. Maybe the higher I rose up at the company, the more money I would make and the more stability I'd feel. Then I'd never have to feel too reliant on Bennett again. It would just be... normal.

Maybe he'd still be my boss, but also, maybe I could raise to a position where even if we broke up, he couldn't fire me just for that.

Not that we would break up.

"There's nothing wrong with being undeclared," my advisor said quickly, misconstruing my silence. "There are some people who don't know what they want to do even in their thirties. Everyone moves at a different pace."

"Oh, no, I feel better," I responded. "I was afraid I'd be taking humanities classes for years."

She smiled at me. "That's okay, too."

I glanced at the clock on her desk, realizing our block had gone a little over. "Thanks for your help! I'll get going now."

"Any time!"

I made my way out of the office and into the hallway where Ariana was waiting for me. "All set?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yup. My schedule for next semester is all set."

"Mine, too," she said, biting her lip. "I can't believe I'm going to be so far away."

"You'll be fine," I said, bumping her hip with mine.

"I feel bad leaving when you're dealing with so much."

Hooking my arm through hers, we headed out of the building together, joining the other students milling about in the courtyard. "Why is that something you need to feel bad about?"

"Because I'm your friend, and I should be here for you."

"You can still be there for me in Spain."

She pursed her lips at me. "A phone call is not as good as being in person if you need to be comforted."

I cringed. "I don't need to be comforted."