CH. 40

'here' when ya here.

also, please understand that this is part one. save all ya think pieces for the end. 🦦

Three months later, it was currently the end of May. Soleil and Siraj returned back to their regular schedule, indulging in their own personal lives. Soleil was now fully adjusted to working with kids, amongst those was Semaj who started attending shortly after Spring Break.

Now that it was the end of May, Soleil was preparing herself for exams. She was also mentally preparing for the year anniversary of Xahir's death. Soleil liked to think that her family was slowly adjusting to life without him but his presence was still heavily missed.

Despite being in therapy for seven months now, Soleil still couldn't bring herself to talk about her brother's death. Her therapist pushed that she would eventually have to, but Soleil just wasn't ready.

Every other thing that had gone on in her life, she had no issues whatsoever talking about them—but when it came to Xahir's death, she completely shut down.

She wanted to, it was the last thing she needed to talk about in order to start her healing journey. Her heart just wouldn't allow her to—even if the thought of talking about it crossed her mind, it was like her brain immediately stopped her from attempting to speak about it.

Soleil rubbed her temples as she stared at the screen of her MacBook, she had been reading over the same line for the past five minutes. She couldn't focus to save her life, her mind too foggy from the lack of sleep she'd been receiving.

Unfortunately, now that the anniversary of Xahir's death was nearing, her nightmares about the car accident only intensified.

In some of her dreams, except for her brother being the only one who died, everyone else in the car didn't make it either. And her dream would always end with the drunk driver speeding back towards their car, Soleil watching and screaming in fear as the car was only a few feet away from hitting her side.

Soleil was growing tired of having the same nightmares over and over, so she started to avoid going to sleep.

However, it was starting to take a toll on her mental and her mood—making her cranky.

Soleil slammed shut her MacBook and got up from her chair. She ran her hands down her face, letting go of a deep sigh. She grabbed her phone to check the time, before placing it back down on the table.

She walked out of her room and walked down the stairs. Through the window, she saw red lights flashing, making her raise an eyebrow. She walked towards the front door and opened it, seeing a few of her neighbors standing outside.

She shut the door behind her, walking further out onto her porch. Parked in front of Ms. Jean's house, there was a fire truck and an ambulance. "What the hell?" Soleil mumbled to herself.

A few seconds later, out came some paramedics pushing a gurney that carried her neighbor. "Oh my gosh," Soleil gasped, rushing towards the sidewalk. "What happened?" she asked the rest of her neighbors, concern filling her tone.

"She had a stroke," one of the neighbors told her. Soleil placed a hand over her chest, her mouth agape in utter shock.

Followed by the paramedics coming out of the house, Isidro was behind them with a distressed expression, the phone pressed to his ear as he seemed to be explaining to someone what was going on.

"Lord, may you wrap your arms around that woman and help her get better," Soleil heard from one of the older women.

"What's going on?" Keia asked, with Joziah right behind her as they came out of the house.