4, "past x"

3 years ago

I had to hurry or else I wouldn't make it. I was caught up by that stupid bookstore, and now I was so close from missing the bus. I was practically skipping, trying to make it in time. I didn't really want to walk to Wonwoo's parents' store right now. It was starting to get chilly, that time of the year I assume. It was time I buy new tights to wear under my uniform. The bustling sound of cars screeching pained my ears, but were also neutralized by chatters among the pedestrians that walked around me. There were voices coming from an alley that stood out among the rest of them, but I ignored it. Yet, the moment I walked past the ally, I felt a sharp pain in my jaw. My body had been knocked to the ground and my bag fell alongside me. What the hell?

I sent my scariest glare to the person responsible of my injury. I was in tremendous pain and furious. Whoever it was packed an insanely hard punched. A boy stood there dumbfounded. His mouth was open with disbelief and glanced at the person who was his actual target. "mianhae..Are you ok ?" He scrambled down to the concrete beside me and pressed his thumb against my hurting skin. "Yah!" I yelled and smacked his hand away. "What is wrong with you?! Hitting random strangers on the street!" I was caught up in a small fist fight among these boys. I just so happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Now I suffered a punch to the jaw.

The boy with almost silver hair grabbed a ahold of my hand and practically forced me to accept his help. By now, the other boy and his group had vanished but I didn't care. I pushed my finger into my jaw and winced in pain. He apologized again and held my hand. "Mianhae, I'll go run and get you a pack of ice from that convenience store." He said, but i refused. "It's fine... I have to go." I quickly dismissed myself, I didn't have time to be upset, I had a bus to catch. I rushed past the boy and picked up my speed to a run, but luck didn't have my side. I was too late. Aish, I thought my luck was great. Looks like I'll have to walk.

I stretched my arms in an attempt to loosen up my muscles and a yawn escaped. I finished helping woonwoo's parents and spent my entire day with them. It was worth it, his mom's cooking is the best. I approached the bus stop and averted my gaze to the body on the bench. I recognized that hair and uniform. "It's you again." I spoke up and walked past the dimly lit lamppost. I stopped in front of him and examined his person up close. It was the same boy that accidentally punched me earlier today. But his face was painted with purple bruises and scratches. Not to mention a bleeding lip. I blinked once and again. "You ended up fighting ?" I spoke again and he didn't budge. I decided to have a seat next to him and that's when his head moved. I was now much closer to his face and gosh did it look bad. It probably hurt worse than my jaw. He slowly blinked and parted his lips, "it's you."

I nodded my head and hummed in response. "Are you some delinquent?" I questioned and he looked back at the ground. "..Not really.." His voice was weak and I shook my head like a scolding mother. "Fighting can get you suspended.. I'll be back." I convince him I'd be back by leaving my school bag with him. I made sure I had enough money in my pockets and left to the corner store not too far from us. I bought things like bandaids, gauze, and saline gauze. I hope it was enough until he got back home. I returned back to the bus stop and there he was. He didn't move an inch. I placed my grocery bag in his lap and he looked at me again. "I'm going to patch you up now." I did my work and covered up most of his scratches. He would flinch here and there, but that was it.

The bus arrived and we both climbed on together.

We sat side by side with him closer to the window. It was quiet until he suddenly spoke from his silence. "Komawo." He dropped his head on my shoulder and I let him. "Why did you get beat up ?" I asked. "They were talking bad about me..But then they were laughing at you so I hit one of them in his mouth." He answered and lifted his head. "Is your cheek ok ?" I silently nodded and muttered a yea.