𝟐𝟔 | 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐑𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞

ᵗʰᵉ ˡᵒˢˢ ᵒᶠ ˢᶜᵃˡᵉˢ

𝔖𝔬𝔫𝔤: Beyond the Veil - Lindsey Stirling

Warnings: blood, bruises, implied death

♥♠♣♦ —— ☠ —— ♥♠♣♦

There was once a legend. A legend that spoke of a woman born to both sea and land. A woman cursed to never belong in either. A woman blessed to represent the ocean herself. The salty water, embued with magic, flowed through her veins. The crystals that adorned her ocean form, allowed her to switch from water to land. And though many revered her as a talented mage of the ocean, capable of calming the seas and unleashing hurricanes as she so chose, there were some who did not listen to the words of their forebears. 

♥♠♣♦ —— ☠ —— ♥♠♣♦

Y/N slowly emerged from the water, her hands trailing the surface of the ocean as she neared the land. Her hair was slick and stuck to her skin, the long strands of h/c hair clinging to her curves and arms as if they were the tentacles of an octopus. Her pale white dress had become like a second skin and clung to the movements of her legs as she emerged from the water. The water glimmered behind her as if someone had released thousands of diamonds into the waves. But if anyone were to inspect the water, they would find that it was nothing more than the scales of her ocean form being shed and left behind in the waves, waiting for her to return.

She turned once to stare at the waves of her home, crouching down by the end and allowing the water to lap at her palm. A single one of her crystal scales brushed against her hand, and she gently picked it up, turning over the translucent trinket in her hand and watching as the dull light of the dawn shone on the edges. Diluted blood dripped from the end and Y/N sighed, dropping it back into the water. It would wait for her until she returned.

Or so she thought.

Two men poked their heads out from behind a large pile of rocks, watching with lecherous grins as Y/N strode away from the water's edge, waving her hand to open a secret passageway in the rocks. As soon as the rock shut behind her, a wall of ivy covering the cliff face, the men sprang from their hiding places, nets ready, and large pouches hanging from either hip. They sped over to the water's edge, uncaring as the ice-cold water splashed their heels as if trying to scare them away, and undisturbed as the sharp crystals dug into their legs. All they cared about was the treasure. The treasure that they had witnessed a month ago when they first discovered the secret beach.

But they weren't the only ones who had been watching the girl leave the safety of her ocean home. From the water, a young boy poked his head above the surface, his eyes widening when he saw the looters scooping precious scales into their nets and pouches, leaving not one behind. 

"Is that all of 'em,"  one of the men asked, hoisting the net over his shoulder. It shone like a ball of ice in the sunlight. 

"Ye- wait! 'Ere's one more!" The man picked up the final scale that had embedded itself into the tip of his shoe and held it up victoriously. They were incredibly proud of their accomplishment. They had managed to steal each one of the fabled crystal scales singlehandedly.

Unable to control his anger, Rielle sprung from the water, leaping like a predator, and tackling the first man to the ground. 

"Ah," the man screamed as Rielle struggled with him, grappling for the net that held the crystal scales. He managed to hook his finger between the ropes but was tossed aside by the other man, who let out a grunt of anger and sent his foot flying into Rielle's stomach.