°•° 5 °•°

When we made it to outside of Kaybree's door, I clenched and unclenched my jaw. Miranda stood nervously behind me. "Um, before you go in, just a warning that she's doing a bit better physically, but mentally..."

I nodded. "I understand. But I'll be able to handle her." She had been living with me for the past few months and I knew what to do when she wasn't at her best.

Grabbing the handle of the door, I slowly pushed it open, bracing myself.

I found Kaybree sitting up in bed, which was a good sign. She didn't notice me, her eyes trained in a magazine, and I took the opportunity to see how she looked. Her hair, which had been matted and sweaty last time I had seen her, was pulled back and a little less wild than before. Her eyes weren't bloodshot anymore but shadows still loomed underneath them. She looked a bit stronger, yet somehow she still looked thin and fragile.

But, overall, a little better. She looked a little more like Kaybree.

Leaning against the door frame, I tried to take on an air of nonchalance. "What, so I don't even get a hello?" I asked teasingly.

Her eyes snapped up. "Kasi?"

I chuckled weakly as I came toward her bed and she slipped a hand over her mouth, her shoulders trembling. I realized she was starting to cry. "Hey, I told you I wouldn't leave, didn't I?" I whispered gently to her as I sat down in the seat next to her bed.

She wiped at her eyes, choking out a small laugh. "You did." And then she reached out and wrapped her arms around my neck in a shaky hug.

I embraced her back, glad to finally be able to hug her after these long days. I felt the tension in my shoulders dissipate just slightly from being able to simply be with her.

After a long moment, she finally pulled away, swiping at her runny nose. "I'm sorry. I got snot on your shirt," she laughed between sniffles.

I shrugged. "Eh. I'm sure this shirt already has all sorts of things on it."

She finally looked over my face and a watery smile pulled at her lips. "You look almost as bad as me."

I narrowed my eyes at her playfully, which produced a small laugh from her. I savored the sound. "Well, I've been so busy worrying about you that I haven't really gotten around to sleeping much. Or showering."

"Ew," she teased.

I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at her.

She smiled and laid her head back on the bed, looking exhausted but happy to see me. But, slowly, her face fell. Blinking a few times to get the remaining tears from her eyes, she quietly asked, "Have you seen her?"

I leaned forward. "I have."

Kaybree let out a breath, her eyes filling with relief and curiosity and worry. "Is she doing okay? When will I get to see her?"

I took my sister's hand, giving it a soft squeeze. "She was definitely not in perfect condition, but she looked so strong and brave and beautiful. She has your eyes and your little button nose. And I know she has your gentle, yet resilient spirit."

A tear slipped down the side of her face, but it looked like a happy tear. "And she's going to be okay? Really?"

I nodded resolutely. "She is going to be perfect."

Her gaze shifted to the ceiling as more tears dripped down her face, but even as she didn't look at me, she held my hand passionately. The strength of her grip gave me hope.

But all the worry came back to her face as she closed her eyes and started crying harder, her chest trembling.

"Hey, what's wrong?" My question only seemed to make her feel worse. "I'm right here, Bree. Abby's safe, I promise."