Chapter 43

Thomas 

The lingering smell of arousal assailed my senses as soon as I stepped through the cabin door, my footsteps freezing at the doorway as my mind reeled with shock and confusion. Caught off guard, my wolf surged to the front, causing every bone in my body to shift as he prepared to take control and meet the non-existent threat that had caused the sudden disruption to my mood.

Holding him back, I took a deep breath, analysing and cataloguing the different smells permeating in the main room. To my dismay, the strongest scent was Mia's intoxicating arousal combined with that of James but it seemed to be a few hours old at least.

Sensing no real threat, my wolf backed down, shockingly unperturbed by the smell of another male with his mate. But I, on the other hand, could barely restrain the fury that consumed me completely at the idea of the two of them together.

"What the fuck did you do James? Where is she?" My mind link, filled with a tone of enraged betrayal, reached James without a hitch, suggesting that he was still somewhere in the pack grounds.

There was a pause before his reply came back, guarded, almost cautious, like he was thinking out the words before relaying them. And that thought raised alarm bells in mine.

"She's fine"

James was a master at diffusing tense situations, a diplomat and a thinker, he could always find his way out of a conflict without stepping on too many toes. But unfortunately for him, I was all too aware of his subtle tactics. And in this moment, with his strong musk invading my space, I had zero tolerance for any of it.

"I won't ask again brother. Where.Is.She?"

A heartbeat of silence followed the question before he responded, his words tumbling out in a hurry. "She was at the head office but Liam is bringing her back now. They should be there any minute."

My body vibrated with a rage like never before. "And what gives any of you the right to take my mate-"

"What gives us the right? You're really asking that question?"

Forcing my beast to keep from shifting and ripping out his throat at the audacity, I snarled into the mind link. "You do not get to lay a claim on her when it benefits you and then push her away when it doesn't, brother. That is not how this works!"

The mind link went silent, a strained stillness pressing on the outer corners as James failed to respond. I could sense his wolf's remorse through the bond but it was the strange sense of nervousness hiding underneath that guilt that prompted me to break the silence.

"What happened here at the cabin, James?"

Another uncomfortable spell of silence followed, my patience wearing thin with each second that passed. But just as I prepared to project, his abrupt answer reached my mind.

"Nothing happened."

I snorted in disgust. The fact that I was drowning in their mingled scent was proof that something had happened but a large part of me wanted to hear it from him. Wanted another reason to prove that they were not capable of being good mates for Mia. Proof that she shouldn't need them.

"Your words reek of deceit just as sure as this room reeks of your betrayal brother."

The nervousness that had emanated from him increased at my words. His wolf almost whined when my own beast pushed through the bond in an attempt to force him to project the secrets that James was trying so hard to hide. But instead, I hit a wall when he suddenly shut me out, clearly unwilling to divulge what had happened between Mia and him.