39 || Part Of My Life

Chapter 39: Part of my life

Can you come to the rehab? It's your father

My mum's words rang in my ears, my head suddenly aching and vision dizzy, I could hardly breathe and my legs were shaky, knees smacking against one another.

My phone easily slipped out my fingers, falling to the floor with a striking thud. Ashton held unto me before I could collapse.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

My lips reviews as I stuttered, "m– my dad!"

Ashton stared at me with his brows raised, a sudden concern mixing with confusion. "Maddie, you told me your dad was…"

"Ashton, I have to go," I said. I quickly grabbed my purse, eagerly searching for some spare money for an Uber since my car was totally done now.

I could feel my palm sweaty, my lips silently mumbling a prayer, please dad, be okay… please!

I frantically turned my purse inside out, the contents spilling unto the floor as I let out a frustrated yell. I had no money.

"I'll drive you," Ashton said.

"Ashton please don't, let's not make this breaku–"

"We're not over Maddie," he cut with a stern look. "Not until you give me an explanation!"

•••

It was past visiting hours when we arrived at Saint Victor's Rehabilitation center, the security had been kind enough to let us in to the visitors lobby.

As I rushed, all that sped through my mind was my father. I'd tried calling for weeks now, for some reason, I always seemed to make up done mental excuse.

Maybe he was too busy…

Maybe he was in a session with the staffs….

Maybe he was asleep…

I'd been so fixated on my own life, I'd ignored everything, even the wellbeing of my own parent…

I was a terrible person.

"Maddie?"

I looked up to find my mom, sitting on one of the couches, her face filled with so much stress, eyes red and puffy. She stood.

"Mom? How's dad?" I asked, my breath had already begun to hitch, I rushed to her, falling into her arms.

"It's going to be okay baby," My mom said, running her hand through my tangled hair. She looked up to find Ashton, both hands held behind him.

"Ashton, thank goodness your here," my mom said, "Maddie needs you now, more than ever."

I remained silent, unable to explain to my mom we were just at the process of breaking up. I simply laid in my moms comfort, crying at the unknown fate of my dad.

"What happened?" I finally managed to ask.

"He's been skipping his prescriptions, he's been going through severe withdrawal symptoms," she explained.

"How long?" I asked.

"It's been over a week, I didn't want to call cause you were probably busy, I thought it would get better," she sobbed. "It got worse."

A staff made his way into the Libby, calling to my mom.

Ashton took a seat beside me. I felt slightly embarrassed, Ashton was the guy with a larger than life persona. Meanwhile, here I was, crying my eyes out.

I looked to the floor, avoiding eye contact as I cried.

He pulled me into a hug, his warm scent enveloping me, a scent of comfort, as he whispered.

"It's going to be fine, you'll be alright."

•••

It had been six hours.

I still hadn't spoken to my dad, my eyes searching to the clock. 12:00am. My mom walked out the doctors office, making her way to Ashton and I.

"He'd been skipping his medications," my mom explained. "The doctors managed to sedate him, they say he'll be fine."

I couldn't help but let out a breath of relief, pulling my mom into a hug.

"You should get back on campus," mom advised but I just shook my head, intending to wait till he woke up.

I turned to Ashton who had a match later today to train for. "What about you?"

He looked at his watch, then back at me. "I'll be here, I want to make sure you're okay."

I gave a small smile. I was grateful he was here with me, Ashton was a shoulder I could rely on whenever things were down and for that, I felt appreciation.

"Can we talk…" I looked at my mom then back at Ashton. "Outside!"

He nodded, following me down to the hallway, away from my mom who was basically on the verge of dozing off.

I grimaced as I passed by a mirror, my appearance gnarly. My hair was in a frenzied bun, eye bags sagging underneath my red puffy eyes. I suddenly felt nervous of Ashton's gaze.

"I should apologize," I finally said.

I turned to Ashton who looked impeccable for someone who's been awake for over six hours, his white tee was a bit rumpled and jeans stained from a coffee a staff had offered earlier but aside from that, he looked perfect, his pink lips sealed tight, hollow cheeks sunken.

"About what Maddie?" He asked, a bit confused as he ran his hands through his disheveled locks.

"I should have told you about my dad… he wasn't dead."

I couldn't look him in the eye, my gaze instead falling to my flip flops. I'd told him my dad was dead last year at the beach house.

"I felt ashamed," I explained when he didn't speak. "That was a part of my life I didn't want to introduce you to, your family was probably going to think I was crazy…"

The silence was loud…

Very loud…

I casually waited, letting him process all I'd just said.

Ashton took a step closer, pushing a stray stand out my face as he gave a reassuring smile.

"Maddie, I love you… everything about you…"

His lips were inches from mine, electricity surfing through every inch of my body as he slowly began closing the gap.

"You should go!" I cut, pushing past him. I didn't want to make this harder for both of us. I knew I had to end this… us… and I hated it.

Ashton had an unbreakable expression, his face like a perfect sculpture as he turned to me.

"At least of you're going to break up with me, why don't I met father dearest first," he said.

"Ashton, I don't thin–"

"Maddie, I've told you, were not over till all this's over." He swung a isn't over my shoulder, pulling me into him as he lead me back into the lobby.

•••

I'd managed to get some sleep before the doctor walked up to us, to inform us my dad was awake.

He escorted is to a small room, there my dad laid, pale and weak. He looked up at me, a small surprised look on his face.

"Maddie?"

I smiled.

"Hi dad," I mumbled.