Chapter Forty-Six

Bing and Ran-Ya are curled up on a makeshift bed for them in the corner of Zuko's bedroom. Zuko himself is sleeping, a blanket is loose around him. He looks better. Much better. And the plants on the windowsill in the room have some more life to them. Zuko shifts a little as he wakes, pushing at the blanket. He still aches from the effect the poison had on him, but he doesn't feel as bogged down by it. Whatever Kali did, it seems to have done the trick.

"Kali?" He asks and almost instantly she is at his side. Kali touches his head and then his cheek. He leans into her touch as she leans closer to him.

"I am here" She assures him. "I am not going anywhere" He clutches her hand, staring at her as he lays back down. Those green eyes of hers bearing into him. "I promise" She whispers softly. She brushes his hair back from his head and stares down at him with worried eyes. He touches her arm, clutching to her as he closes his eyes, she presses her forehead to his. She goes to pull back but he tugs her closer. With a soft smile she lays at his side, tucking herself against him, her head on his shoulder. He curls his arm around her. She lets out a content breath and closes her eyes.

......

In the kitchen, Iroh is preparing breakfast for them all. He hums away to himself. Zuko is on the mend, and Kali is back in their lives and their home, which also makes Zuko happy, he has his own tea shop, a nice place to live. Things are turning around for them. Zuko enters the room, pulling on his shirt.

"What's that smell?" He asks as he approaches his uncle.

"It's jook. I'm sure you wouldn't like it" Zuko leans over the pot on the stove and inhales before leaning back to look at his uncle.

"Actually, it smells delicious" Zuko assures him and picks up a bowl. "I'd love a bowl, Uncle" He holds out the bowl towards Iroh.

"Now that your fever is gone, you seem different somehow" Iroh points out as he serves Zuko some of the jook.

"It's a new day. We've got a new apartment, new furniture, and today's the grand opening of your new tea shop" Iroh then hums and smirks a little.

"Not to mention that Kali is back" He voices and Zuko smiles to himself. Yes, that is one of the main reasons he is so happy right now. He sets his bowl on the table before he takes a seat.

"Things are looking up, Uncle" Zuko voices and then starts drinking the jook. Iroh's shocked expression changes to a smile. Kali yawns as she walks into the room to join them. Iroh gives her a warm smile which she returns. Kali sits at Zuko's side, pulling her knee up to her chest.

"Good morning" She greets him warmly, Zuko looks at her and smiles softly. He reaches over and brushes her hair back behind her ear.

"Would you like some jook, Little Flower?" Iroh asks and she nods.

"Yes, please" She answers. Zuko leans closer to her.

"Are you going to stay?" Zuko asks her, she hums and looks at him. "Here with..." He clears his throat a little. "Me?" She smiles and nods.

"But I want to get some things from my....home"

"Where have you been staying all this time anyway?" Iroh asks her as he sets a bowl of jook in front of her.

"A condemned apartment in the lower ring" She answers and Iroh's eyes sadden. She shrugs a little. "I don't have much, but I have picked up a few bits and pieces that I would like to keep"

"And later you will come to the grand opening of my tea shop?" Iroh asks her, she turns to look at him.

"Of course. I wouldn't miss it" She assures Iroh warmly. He cups her cheek and stares at her for a moment. Her time away from them did her some good, and it shows. There is new strength in her eyes. He smiles at her and then pulls back to sit at the table with them.

......

Kali pulls on her cloak as she gets ready to leave. She knows that coming back to them now is the right thing for her. She got everything she could have gotten out of being on her own. She developed herself. Found herself. She is in a better place to be with them. She doesn't feel like she's a burden anymore. But she does have something to bring to the table as an equal. She turns and finds that Zuko is watching her from where he sits, Iroh is talking him through the plans for the opening of his tea shop. Kali wiggles her fingers to wave at him and Zuko smiles to himself as she leaves. Perhaps his uncle has been right all along. He could find happiness here. With her. It wouldn't be too terrible for them. Or they could find somewhere outside of the city. It doesn't have to be here. His poison-induced dream showed him that they could be together in the Fire Nation, but as it is, he doesn't think that she would like to be there.

....

Trinkets. That's all Kali has from her life in Ba Sing Se. Things she has found or bought over the weeks she was alone. Things that she liked. For the first time ever, she was buying things for herself with money she had earned selling the fruit and vegetables that she made. She is proud of those little trinkets though. She slides the stone badgermole figurine into her bag and then looks around, trying to work out what else she wants to take with her. Suddenly, she cries out when rocks form over her hands, throwing her back against the wall behind her. She thrashes with her feet though, trying to push herself away from the wall. Two shadowy figures appear in the open doorway of the apartment and Kali lets out a growl, pulling her lip up trying to seem threatening despite her situation. Dai Li agents. She glares at them as they move closer to her.

A/N – NOT SURE HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE DAI LI KIDNAPPING HER AT THIS POINT, I DO HAVE A COUNTER IDEA IN WHICH SHE GETS CAPTURED ALONGSIDE SOKKA AND TOPH WHEN THEY GO TO RESCUE KATARA AND ZUKO, SO IF YOU GUYS WOULD PREFER IT TO HAPPEN THEN, I CAN DO THAT.