||Mind Link||

I jumped as a sharp knock drew me from my thoughts, and I pressed myself against the window that I had been looking out of

My shoulders relaxed, but only slightly, as I watched a timid servant girl enter the room. In her hands was a deep blue evening dress and a pair of heels. I remained in my corner, observing as she deposited the garment on the bed that I haven't neared since waking up in it earlier in the day.

Her black hair brushed against the top of her shoulders as she looked down towards the floor, a few quiet murmurs escaping her that I just barely caught.

"Lord Cyprus requests your attendance at the dining hall. An escort will arrive shortly."

Her words were as curt as her entrance, and she turned, allowing the door to close on the way out.

I didn't move for a moment after that. I just stared at the clothes that were neatly laid on the silk-covered mattress.

But it was the fear of what would happen if I didn't comply that made me drift towards the bed.

The dress was pretty, I couldn't deny it.

I ran my fingers over the material, the soft feel of it confirming my thoughts—it was expensive fabric.

Gnawing on my inner cheek, I undressed, and carefully stepped into the blue garment. It fit me like a glove and was so light that it felt like I was wearing nothing.

I was just stepping into my heels when I heard another knock on the door. Nervously, I smoothed my hands down my dress and offered a quiet "come in" to let the person know that I was decent.

"I will be escorting you to the dining hall, my lady."

A middle-aged man stood at the other end of the opened door with his arm outstretched in a gesture for me to take it. Hesitantly, I stepped forward and cautiously looped my arm in his, stumbling a bit as he immediately started leading me away from my room.

I nibbled on my bottom lip as we walked what seemed like an endless distance until we finally arrived at a grand entrance.

The set-up was similar to the Castle's dining hall but much less elaborate and considerably smaller in size. I almost questioned how this man could possibly have so much fortune, but I remembered that he was in fact a Lord.

"Primrose, welcome! Please, take a seat."

I locked eyes with the man in question who sat at the head of the table. He was dressed just as lavishly as me, in a blue suit that matched the tone of my own dress.

I was too distracted by his overly nice demeanour to realize that my escort was leading me towards the other end of the table, where I would sit directly across from him separated by several meters of table space.

My shoulders relaxed as I saw that I wouldn't be right next to the man who had kidnapped me, but I fisted the side of my dress when I realized that I'd spoken much too soon.