09. The consummation

October 23rd, 1533
Marseille, France

When she returned to her rooms, she was helped out of her heavy dress and into her new satin-white nightgown.

Her new undergarments had been part of her trousseau.

"Should I be afraid Laura?" Catherine asked, sitting on the edge of the bed with her mirror in her hands while Laura was brushing her blond hair. "Will it hurt?"

Laura looked at Catherine from the reflection. She didn't know what to tell her, because she didn't want to scare the girl.

"It will feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but then you will experience the feeling of pleasure." She said.

"Pleasure?" Catherine looked at her in surprise. "You'll understand in a moment." Maria said, wanting to end the conversation as soon as possible.

Laura let go of the brush and walked over to one of the chests in the room.

Camilla, who had been sitting in one of the chairs all this time, walked over to Catherine. "My sister told me that lying with a man can be the most beautiful feeling on earth, if he knows how to do it and you know how to please him." she said softly so that Laura wouldn't hear them.

Catherine looked at her curiously. "And how do I please him?"

"The whores take his...pleasure maker in their mouths and then suck on it." Camilla whispered softly, suppressing a giggle.

"You must be jesting? Take it in my mouth?" Catherine burst out laughing.

There was a letter knock on the door. "Her Majesty the Queen!" was announced.

Catherine and Camilla rose ,startled, and stood side by side, bent in curtsy.

Queen Eleanor made her entrance, followed by her most loyal confidant and lady-in-waiting Agnes, who had followed her from Burgundy to Spain and then to Portugal and France when her mistress married the latter's queen.

"Your Majesty." Catherine greeted her, still weighed down in her curtsy. "Please get up Catherine, and you too." she said to the ladies.

She looked at Catherine. "You look beautiful." she said with a smile. "Thank you."

"I will explain to you what will happen next so that you will not be surprised; in a little while I will escort you to the prince's chambers. Your lady-in-waiting and governess may come with you. In the prince's room the holy father, the king, your brother and some nobleman and woman will be present." she explained to Catherine. Seeing Catherine's shock, she placed her hand in hers.

"Don't be alarmed, they won't be there when the marriage is consummated. The Holy Father is only there to bless consumption." she reassured Catherine.

Catherine nodded with relief. She couldn't imagine being stared at by everyone as her marriage was consumed.

"We'll have to leave, are you ready?" Eleanor asked. Catherine nodded quietly.

Together with the Queen, Laura and Camilla, they walked up the hall to Henri's room.

The king, her uncle and brother, and a few other nobels were already waiting in his room.

Catherine made a curtsy to the king and her uncle, then stood next to Henri.

Henri himself was also dressed in his nightgown which was covered by a thick overcoat.

"Kneel, children, that you may receive my blessing." said the holy father. Catherine and Henri knelt on the ground and the Pope gave them his blessing after which they only prayed a short prayer.

When the prayer was over, Catherine got up again and walked to the other side of the bed. Laura helped her stretch her robes and the kings held up the blanket for Catherine to get into the bed.

A stark white cloth had been placed on the sheet. Catherine looked questioningly at the queen. "For the blood." She whispered, Catherine nodded understanding and sat on it before the blanket was placed over her again. Henri sat next to her and they received another blessing from the Holy Father.

"We'll leave the newlyweds alone!" Said the holy father. Catherine bowed her head to her uncle who walked over to kiss her forehead and Alessandro, who had been silent the whole time in the back of the room, did the same.

"I love you, Catherine." he said to his sister. He couldn't bear to see his little sister being forced into marriage at such a young age.

"I love you too." Catherine replied with a strained smile. Now that the time had really come for her to consummate the marriage, she felt a bit nervous.

"May God help you fulfill your duty." The holy father whispered to her. He walked out of the room, followed by the rest of the crowd.

"Father?" Henry asked. He looked questioningly at his father, who was the only one left in the room. "Aren't you going away?"

"I will remain here until I am assured that you have consummated the marriage." He said, he looked sternly at his son.

Catherine looked up at the king, startled.

The king clapped his hands. "Well come on, the sooner you children finish the sooner I'm gone."

Henri looked at Catherine, for the first time since she'd walked into the room, and she gave a short nod.

If this was the way the king wanted it done, they had no other choice.

Henri carefully climbed up on Catherine under the covers. "You have to move your nightgown up a bit." He whispered softly as he himself rolled his nightgown to his hips. Catherine lifted herself slightly so she could pull the gown up. She gave Henri another nod and looked the other way, away from the king's face.

Henri's hands began to search around for the opening and Catherine suddenly felt a pain go through her.

She gasped and gasped again as Henri began to move.

Henri looked at his father who didn't take his eyes off them. He looked away again and looked at Catherine, who now had her eyes half open.

She clung tightly to the blanket as Henri made his way.

The pain she felt was almost unbearable and she waited every moment for it to be over. This was not the sense of pleasure that Laura had explained to her earlier.

Henri gasped, barely able to hold himself up, then let out a growl before falling down next to Catherine and closing his eyes.

When he opened his eyes again, his father was gone and he was alone with Catherine who lay still next to him and stared at the ceiling.