Chapter Fifty

A/N – I am going to stick to option two for this story, and then bank the other three away for my other stories.

Long Feng walks into the throne room, looking grim, with some Dai Li agents behind him and heads towards the throne platform where Azula sits, comfortable in the throne. She holds the chain attached to Kali's collar across her lap whilst she patronisingly strokes Kali's hair where she has been forced to kneel next to the throne. She cringes, trying to lean away from the teenager. Which she is finding hard to fathom. That Azula is fourteen and completely insane.

"Now comes the part where I double cross you," Long Feng tells Azula who shifts her head slightly. Not all that phased by him doing this. "Dai Li, arrest the Fire Nation princess!" None of the Dai Li agents move, to Long Feng's disappointment. "I said arrest her!" They still do nothing. "What is wrong with you?!"

"It's because they haven't made up their minds" Long Feng snaps his head toward Azula. "They're waiting to see how this is going to end"

"What are you talking about?" Long Feng asks her. Azula stands from the throne.

"I can see your whole history in your eyes. You were born with nothing, so you've had to struggle, and connive, and claw your way to power. But true power, the divine right to rule, is something you're born with. The fact is, they don't know which one of us is going to be sitting on that throne, and which one is going to be bowing down" Long Feng looks worried. "But I know, and you know" She sits down on the throne and crosses her legs, pulling the chain back over them. "Well?" Long Feng's worried look turns into fear, then into a look of submission. He walks up and bows to her.

"You've beaten me at my own game"

"Don't flatter yourself! You were never even a player" Azula counters and then motions with her hand. Two Dai Li agents drag Long Feng away. Azula looks at Kali who claws at the collar, trying to get it off of her. Azula hums a little before she stands, pulling on the chain to get Kali to her feet. "Time to reunite you with my brother" She comments.

.......

In the Crystal Catacombs beneath Ba Sing Se, Zuko sits with his arms around his legs as he stares into one of the green crystals that protrude from the walls. Behind him, Katara paces. There has been a conversation between them, but it has been hostile. There is too much history between them for any sort of civil relationship, even in captivity. He lets out a breath and rests his head on his knees. He should have gone with his uncle. He should have gone back to Kali. Zuko closes his eyes and Katara looks over at him. She might be hostile towards him, but she has seen something new in him. Actually, she saw something new in him after Azula's attack on Kali. He showed true concern and grief at that moment. Something she didn't think the Fire Nation was capable of. She goes to say something to him, only to be interrupted by Aang and Iroh as Aang tunnels his way into the catacombs.

"Aang!" Zuko is quick on his feet, turning to face them. Aang looks surprised at seeing Zuko alone with Katara. As Katara hugs him, he briefly smiles at her, then looks over Katara's shoulder to glare at Zuko. Zuko receives a huge from Iroh but his eyes scan around for Kali. But she's not here with him. Zuko turns a glare on Aang instead. "Aang, I knew you would come" Katara hugs Aang again.

Zuko Uncle, I don't understand. Where's Kali? What are you doing with the Avatar?" Zuko points to Aang.

"Saving you, that's what" Zuko growls and takes one confrontational step in Aang's direction, but Iroh stops him.

"Zuko, it's time we talked," Iroh tells his nephew before turning to Aang and Katara. "Go help your other friends. We'll catch up with you" They walk away, and Katara looks back at Zuko, who is looking sadly to the side, before moving on.

"Why, Uncle?" Iroh asks sadly.

"You're not the man you used to be, Zuko" Iroh offers and smiles at him. "You are stronger and wiser and freer than you have ever been. And now you have come to the crossroads of your destiny. It's time for you to choose. It's time for you to choose good" As Zuko contemplates what his uncle is telling him, he yells as crystals grow to encase Iroh. He assumes a fighting position to prepare for the intruders. Azula along with two Dai Li agents slide down from the sides of the chamber.

"I expected this kind of treachery from Uncle" Azula comments and Zuko moves to stand protectively in front of Iroh. "But Zuko, Prince Zuko, you're a lot of things, but you're not a traitor, are you?"

"Release him immediately" Zuko demands.

"It's not too late for you, Zuko. You can still redeem yourself"

"The kind of redemption she offers is not for you" Iroh argues.

"Why don't you let him decide, Uncle?" Azula snaps then turns to Zuko. "I need you, Zuko. I've plotted every move of this day," Azula makes a fist. "This glorious day in Fire Nation history, and the only way we win is together. At the end of this day, you will have your honour back. You will have Father's love. You will have everything you want"

"Zuko, I am begging you. Look into your heart and see what it is that you truly want" Iroh pleads.

"You are free to choose....." Azula assures Zuko, then gestures at the two Dai Li agents who earthbend themselves out before they return, dragging a chained and restrained Kali with them. Zuko's eyes widen and he takes a step forward, Azula readies a blue flame in her palm and holds it closer to Kali. With a yank on the chain around her neck, Kali is forced to the ground. "Of course, should you choose wrong" Azula states, leaving the threat hanging there as she shifts her hand closer to Kali's face. Kali closes her eyes and tries to lean away. Neither Iroh nor Zuko doubts that Azula will hurt Kali if Zuko doesn't do what Azula wants here, maybe even kill her. Zuko looks at Kali as she opens her eyes. She shakes her head at him, pleading with him to stand with his uncle, to stand against his sister and everything that she represents. She will be fine. But she can see that he's about to agree. He's about to try and save her. Azula grabs the chain and yanks hard, sending Kali flat on the ground with a cry of pain, tears springing from her eyes. Zuko closes his eyes and lets out a breath. He'd do anything for Kali. He knows that. So he knows what he is going to do here. What he'll always do. Azula hands the chain back to the Dei Li agent and then walks away, confident that she knows what her brother is going to do.