CHAPTER SEVEN

Even though Steve meant every word he said about Soda the previous day, he still felt a little bad that he had heard it. He supposed that he was a little harsh. Maybe he'd apologize today, if he ever could work up the courage to go talk to him.

Soda was actually at the DX before Steve showed up this time, but he didn't say anything. Only nodded and kept his head down low. Steve guessed that he wouldn't want to talk to himself either after hearing everything he said.

Oh well.

At least he could actually work on cars today. That was what he was good at and what he enjoyed doing. It was easy to get out of his own head when he was putting all of his energy into fixing cars. He could tell that some people must have even come from the nicer end of town where the Socs lived.

He almost didn't even notice when Sodapop walked in, until he cleared his throat. Steve looked up from the engine he was currently tinkering with to find Soda staring at him, looking anxious. "Um, hi?" He said, confused.

Soda opened his mouth, closed it, and then opened it again to speak. "You...fix...the car?"

Steve dropped his tool, letting it hit the concrete floor of the garage with a loud ring. "What."

"Shit!" Soda face palmed. "Shit that is not what I meant. Please tell me that's not on you. I am so sorry you got stuck with such a bad tattoo. Oh my God I swear I tried to make it sound better than that. I got nervous. I way over thought it, dude. I tried so hard too. Oh my–"

Steve stared in shock as Soda rambled on. Soda? He thought in disbelief. "You're my soulmate?" he asked in shock.

Soda sighed. "After that stupid sentence, let's pray I'm not. For your sake."

Steve tugged his T-shirt off and turned to the side, revealing the words that Soda had spoken tattooed on his ribs. The words he's been dying to hear ever since they showed up. Albeit, he expected it to sound more graceful, for sure, but he wasn't mad. Hearing how dorky Soda sounded honestly made Steve like him more and give him some character after Sodapop had sort of dropped the ball the past few days.

"I'm confused. You knew I was your soulmate already?" He asked.

Soda smiled, sheepishly, before showing Steve his own tattoo.

And to top off this lovely day, I run into the hottest person in Tulsa. Great. Sorry.

"When we ran into each other at the store, you said this, remember? I sort of freaked out."

"I..." Steve stammered, trying to think of something to say. "Sorry it's so long."

Soda laughed. "I'm sorry that yours is so dumb."

"No, no, it's not dumb. It's cool. I...I honestly never thought that this day was actually gonna happen." He laughed, dumbfounded. Steve being Steve, though, couldn't help but nag. "What gives for bailing yesterday?"

"I don't know, I freaked out. I thought that I had found my soulmate and then just let him get away at the store. I obviously didn't realize that you were my soulmate or I would have shown up. I spent all of yesterday sulking. Then when I saw you downstairs yesterday, it all sort of made sense."

"Wow." Steve said, leaning against the car. "Well, I'd offer to shake your hand or something, but they're kind of oily."

"I don't care." Soda laughed and pulled Steve's hand into his own. "It's nice to finally meet you, soulmate."

"Yeah." he was still in a state of disbelief. "It's really nice to meet you too."

-

Work crawled by after that, at least for Steve, anyway. He did his best to avoid going into the shop area at all, because seeing all the girls flirting with Soda made his insides bubble with hot jealousy.

He did happen to catch Soda proudly telling the girls that he had found his soulmate after one questioned why he had finally uncovered his soul tattoo. The girls were not too happy to hear about that, leaving with strings of curses and "I'll change his mind's." Soulmates renouncing each other was not unheard of, and was becoming a little more normal as time progressed, but it was still a little taboo in society. Steve heard of more stuff like that happening in places like California.

Even still, that did not ease his worry too much that maybe a girl would actually change Soda's mind.

Once the crowd of girls had finally thinned to nothing, Steve walked over to Soda. "Um, I don't know if you had plans or anything, but I was thinking maybe we could do something after work? Get to know each other a little."

Soda lit up, causing Steve to melt just a little bit. "Of course. What were you thinking?"

"Oh, I hadn't had anything solid in mind. Maybe the Dingo? Or the drive in?"

"Either will work just fine." Soda smiled. "Now get back to work." He teased.

Steve grinned and went back into the garage, counting down the minutes until closing time.

Somehow, time passed and he found himself cleaning up the garage. He was about to head into the shop when he heard the door jingle. "Come on, Two-Bit." He heard Soda laugh. "You know we're already closed."

Steve gasped, lightly, cursing himself.

"I know, I know. I'm just here to pick up my best bud. Where is Stevie, anyway?"

Steve rushed out. "Two-Bit, hey." He pulled him by the wrist until they were outside where Soda couldn't hear. "Two, Sodapop is my soulmate!"

Two-bit barely reacted. "Really?"

"I just found out today. Can you believe we've both been friends with you for years and yet have somehow missed each other?"

The redhead just shrugged and shook his head.

"Are you okay?" Steve asked.

"I'm fine. Now come on, I'm starving." Two-Bit turned and began walking to his car.

"Two-bit." He grabbed his wrist again, stopping him. "I forgot about our plans. I'm sorry. But I really need to spend some time with Soda. I gotta get to know him. You understand, right?"

Something flickered in Two-Bit's eyes, and Steve wondered for a moment why it looked like heartbreak. "No, actually. I don't understand how you just forgot about me."

Steve scoffed, bewildered. "It's not like that and you know it. This is a big deal! It's not everyday that you meet your soulmate."

Two-Bit unconsciously touched his own shoulder. "Tell me about it." He mumbled before shaking his head and plastering his usual grin on. "You're right, Stevie. I'm being bitter just cause you're my best bud. Have fun with Soda, we'll do something later."

Steve offered a half-smile. "I'll make it up to you." He hugged him quickly before turning around and rushing back inside the DX.

If Steve hadn't been so excited to see Sodapop again, he might have noticed the way Two-Bit's voice had cracked and that his eyes were welled up with tears.

Written by: greaserbabes