Fifty Seven

"Oh star child—how long will it take for you to understand? no galaxy could ever contain you."
~ F.T.

Track 58; Enemy by Imagine Dragons
✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

Maruta Shiga, a "quirkless" man who runs Jaku Hospital. He idealized community based medicine in quirks and after forming the hospital put his efforts into charitable works. He's set up orphanages and nursing homes nationwide, earning a rapport that puts him in the upper echelons of society.

"How do we know it's him?" Rocklock asks at the hero gathering; they were going over the plans about the upcoming approach for a war against the Paranormal Liberation Army—the same one your husband had warned you about. The same one you were now drawn into, no thanks to the outcomes and the truths you now knew.

"We had someone go undercover based on a tip from the Safety Commission. They discovered a locked down area in the hospital and nobody knew what it was being used for. It's only accessible via the morgue. Only Shiga goes in and out. Our insider did spot him dragging somebody in there, and we haven't seen her come out." Answers Detective Tsukauchi.

A picture is revealed.

The energy in the room darkens more than it already was.

Aizawa and Present Mic stiffen in their seats.

So that was why you hadn't been answering their calls.

"I understand a comrade is in danger, but for her safety and the rest of ours we have to proceed with caution. We have reason to believe that there are up to a dozen or more Nomu's inside the morgue. These more than likely are High-Ends, similar to the one Estrella eradicated in Fukuoka. We aren't sure of the Liberations plans with holding her hostage, she may be subjected as 'bait' for us. Arresting Maruta Shiga won't be tricky, but the Paranormal Liberation Front will catch wind of it if we get ahead of ourselves."

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

That television static was evolving, turning into something that was brain-rattling and caused the rest of your body to feel fuzzy as well. The monotonous white noise your head was creating did not subside the dull ache at the back. Your body pulsed with an ever increasing pain. It connected with the fact that your wings were restricted, by what you were unsure but they were clamped firmly with some sort of restraint. It was difficult to tell, but it felt like a metal net holstered to you at your lower rib cage and the back of your neck.

You were sick of being hit over the head, didn't they have a better way to take you out? Why had that turned into their best method?

There's a slight movement, though it isn't due to your own choices. It's difficult to guess what sort of predicament you are in. There is an immense pressure in your brain that makes you feel nauseous. It's all the blood in your body pooling up in your head. You don't have anything in you to throw up even if you tried; you aren't sure how long you've been here. Minutes? Hours? Days?

How long could a person be held upside down before dying? Was this some sort of slow torture? Were they expecting you to break out of this confinement? You couldn't get a read on your mana levels, so you were probably right in assuming that you were held in quirk-binding restraints. That was frustrating. It's easy to tell that you are hanging. Wiggling your legs shakes the rest of you, and you can feel a bit of tension a distance away. Without your quirk, you wouldn't be able to get enough speed to break free. You growl in frustration, which barely makes a sound from your throat.

You hear footsteps at a frantic pace over the white buzz in your head. You go limp, hoping to seem unconscious while you hone in on your other senses minus your sight. A door opens, and someone runs inside. You can sense their location in the room thanks to their haggard, panicked breathing. Outside the door again, you can hear someone else coming in at a fast speed. Your heart begins to quicken, and you hear a voice.